A Timeline of Answered Prayer


August 14 (August 15 in New Zealand) Son#5 and his sweetheart were married in the United Sates of America. A week later Son#5 returned to New Zealand – alone – and DIL#5 began the visa application process. About this time I told DIL#5 that I would pray every day until her visa was approved and she was in New Zealand. 

September 20 we heard that DIL#5 had just found out that her application for exemption from the ban to travel to New Zealand had been denied. She was naturally upset. We were unable to talk with her that weekend but spoke with Son#5 and ended the call by praying for their marriage and the visa application. 

While we weren’t surprised by the response from New Zealand immigration (we'd heard enough similar stories) we were naturally disappointed, especially since DIL#5 had been told that she could not reapply or appeal and there didn’t seem any way to move forward. But I was also excited because I saw it as an opportunity to see God at work as it was obvious that only God could open these doors that appeared to have been firmly bolted and chained. 


We continued to pray and asked others to pray. 

The couple continued to look into their options and Son#5 began his application for a visa to America – a process that could take up to two years. As a step of faith I knuckled down on their wedding quilt so that it would be at least partially completed by the time DIL#5 arrived in New Zealand. 

Early October The Most Adorable Granddaughter#3 asked me if I wanted to know how many days until Christmas. I told her not to tell me because it would scare me. But I wasn’t thinking so much of what I had to get done before Christmas even though it was coming ever so quickly and I am notorious for leaving Christmas preparations to the last minute but because I was still praying that God would bring DIL#5 to New Zealand by Christmas – in fact even earlier, by mid-December when Son#5 was to be best man at his best friend’s wedding – and I was half afraid that we were running out of time. (Oh ye of little faith.

(The Most Adorable Granddaughter#3 then proceeded to inform me of the number of days to her sister’s birthday which happens to be three days after Christmas – it doesn’t take a genius to do the maths.) 

Evening of October 7 Son#5 apparently told Son#2 during a visit that DIL#5 had once again applied for permission to travel to New Zealand but that they didn’t hold out much hope. We knew that at the start of October visa applications were once again being processed, but not knowing how the system worked, we assumed those that had been lodged before lockdown would have priority and DIL#5's would be at the bottom of a long queue. 

Morning of October 8 I was praying for a visa for DIL#5 and had to remind myself that nothing is impossible with God. It was getting a little hard to keep hoping especially as we were not seeing anything happening but I had to tell myself to hold onto God’s promises and that He alone can move mountains. 

About 1:30 pm that same day I had a message from DIL#5 where she told me that her request to be considered under the COVID-19 ban exception process had been accepted and she had been invited to apply for a Critical Purpose visitor visa. She had one month to submit the application form and associated documents and, if approved, had to travel to New Zealand within four months. 

I’ll admit that I had tears in my eyes when I read this message. We still weren’t there but we were seeing signs to remain hopeful and to keep praying for the visa. 

October 22 – exactly two weeks after DIL#5 was invited to apply for a visa – I was talking to a colleague who told me that her son’s girlfriend had received approval for a visa. For the rest of the day I had a sense of expectancy and I kept checking my phone. No messages, yet I still had the assurance that we were going to hear and that it would be good news. When I got home I decided to go on Facebook and I saw that there were two messages from DIL#5 (I have no idea why these didn't show up on my phone). I saw the second one first and it simply said, “Praise God.” I now know how David felt when he danced to the Lord. I wanted to break out into dance myself! 

DIL#5’s visa had been approved, however, the only airfares she could find on the days she wanted to travel were $10 000 each! This didn’t surprise me as my friend had told me her son and his girlfriend had been quoted the same price but had then soon found cheaper flights. I encouraged DIL#5 to check flight prices daily and to grab one when it seemed reasonable. And we prayed.

October 23 - DIL#5 sent me a message that she has seats booked for December 1. This will give her the opportunity to have Thanksgiving with her family and a few more days catching up with them, before travelling to New Zealand where she will spend two weeks in quarantine: studying and sitting her exams. And, as long as she remains COVID-free, she will be out of isolated quarantine in time (just!) to travel with Son#5 to his best friend’s wedding on December 19. 

We praise God. Only He has done it. He is faithful. 

We still do not know the future - and there are still things to work out - but we know that God – and only God – can make a way. 

I shared this song by Don Moen with the couple about the time Son#5 left New Zealand at the end of July. I was convinced then that God could make a way - and now I am more sure of it than ever.

God will make a way 
Where there seems to be no way 
He works in ways we cannot see 
He will make a way for me 
He will be my guide 
Hold me closely to His side 
With love and strength for each new day 
He will make a way, 
He will make a way 

By a roadway in the wilderness, 
He'll lead me 
And rivers in the desert will I see 
Heaven and Earth will fade 
But His Word will still remain 
He will do something new today 


Have you not known?
Have you not heard?
The everlasting God, the Lord,
The Creator of the ends of the earth,
Neither faints nor is weary.
His understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the weak,
And to those who have no might He increases strength.
Even the youths shall faint and be weary,
And the young men shall utterly fall,
But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:28-31, NKJV



Comments