Noel (Come And See What God Has Done)


Christmas Carols. You either love them or hate them. I used to be very much in the hate camp. And the reasons are as complicated as are some of the arrangements of said carols.

Perhaps one reason is to be found in being forced to sing carols as a child in front of people. Or the awful recordings that blast the ears of shoppers from as early as the beginning of November. Or perhaps it's the lyrics (some that have little to do with Christmas at all). Or then again, having to play them only once a year, I was sadly always out of practice whenever Carols by Candlelight rolled around at church each December. Or it could be that some carols are not easy to sing for modern vocal chords that are mostly untrained.

But over the years my views have changed, and there are now many carols I consider some of my favourite songs of all time (that is, I could happily listen to them all year round). With less than a week to Christmas, my Christmas playlist is quickly expanding. However, I have no doubt that at least one son will edit it on or before Christmas. But there are some I will refuse to have deleted.

One carol that I've reflected on recently (and if I get time, I hope to share a few more before Christmas) is Noel. I love the words, particularly the line, "Come and see what God has done."

Certainly as we consider Christmas, there is reason to implore others to "Come and see what God has done." The miracle of the baby in the manger, born of a virgin, fully God and yet fully human. And the plan: to redeem all mankind. After four hundred years of silence from the heavens, no wonder the shepherds were anxious to see what God had done after the angelic choir visited their humble workplace. Simeon and Anna, too, anxious to see God's promise fulfilled in this babe. And the wise men - reading the signs of the heavens - they came, too, to see what God had done.


The wonderful, incredible story of Christmas is enough to be excited about what God has done. But I have another reason, too. Another reason why that line excites me and makes me want to sing it out for all the world to hear (if only I could sing). Over a month ago I wrote about A Timeline of Answered Prayer. Since then, DIL#5 has arrived in New Zealand, completed quarantine, and, two days ago, was reunited with Son#5. Today they are both in attendance at the wedding of Son#5's best friend.

When I first began praying for DIL#5's visa my prayer was that she would be here for Christmas, and, if God willed it, even sooner, for Son#5's friend's wedding. If I'm honest, I had times when I doubted whether it could be done. The wedding seemed so close. And yet, God graciously answered our prayers - even the prayer that we had barely enough faith to pray - and there is reason to exclaim, "Come and see what God has done."

I know we are blessed. I've heard two heart-breaking stories this past week, and there will be many more such stories all over the world. This has been a difficult year for many. Here in New Zealand we have no idea of how hard it has been in other countries. Yes, there have been job losses, and financial difficulties, and families separated, and we had to worship at home alone for several weeks, and I can't fly to Australia to assist my mother who has broken her pelvis even if my own injury allowed it, but none of that means that God has turned His back on us and forgotten us.

He is above our circumstances. He is God in the good and the bad and He is still at work. He is still God and He still cares for His people. This Christmas I invite you to open your hearts and minds and come and see what God has done.










Comments