A Woman's Prerogative And Another Walk

 Yesterday found me feeling dizzy and deciding that housework could wait and that I would spend the day working on repairing the quilt for The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2. Over the past week I have come to realise that what I think The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 values about the quilt is that it was initially made for her daddy and that it's warm and snuggly.

I was trying to make it like new again - or that was my original intention - when that is both impossible and perhaps not what The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 was after when she trustingly placed it into my hands.

With this in mind, I changed my plan of action (they do say it's a woman's prerogative), and undid the initial repairs. I then soaked it for half a day in an oxygen bleach with some dye catchers, before spinning the water out, and laundering as I do most of my quilts (that is, with a detergent designed for woollens and with lots of water in the washing machine). 

I was pleasantly surprised with how much dirt and grime was lifted from the quilt after this second laundering. The batting did beard slightly in places but not enough to be a problem and the brightness and freshness of the quilt was worth that small disadvantage.

I then found some threads to match the top and the back and set to work overlocking some of the frayed seams and small holes using my sewing machine and concentrating on the outer edges. That completed, I turned my attention to making patches to cover the worst of the frayed and/or damaged pieces in the centre of the quilt and appliquéing them in place. There were nine squares surrounded by four triangles each, giving a total of 36 triangles that I decided to replace. (Only 20 were needing it but I decided that it would look better if every square was surrounded by new pieces since I could not match the badly faded black and the new fabric would stand out.)





So far that is the extent of my labours. The next step is to replace a few more pieces in the centre, and then overlock (by hand or machine) the remaining damaged pieces. And then when that is done, I aim to cover the whole quilt with dove-grey bridal tulle. My research suggests that this is the best way to stabilise fragile fabric. I don't know why or how it works, but apparently it does and once attached is virtually invisible. That done, it will be then up to The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 to decide whether she wants the binding replaced or not (it is wearing in several places).

This afternoon, after sitting for so long working on the quilt, I suggested a walk on the beach. Due to my ankle injury and DH's eye surgery, the beach has been pretty much off limits to us all summer. It was lovely to get out and enjoy the gorgeous day and scenery (and we were shocked at some of the changes since we were there early summer).




We returned home to news that we are going back into Level 2 Lockdown from midnight (Level 3 for Auckland). Hopefully this will be short-lived and we will not go to Level 3. If however, we do, I may get this quilt finished sooner than expected. The only problem will be that I won't be able to see The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 to give it to her.

Comments