Wrapped in Love


Life has been busy, not the least because I have had several projects on the go and self-imposed deadlines. My mother always said that I was like her in that I made my crafting an obsession and I think she was right. My biggest problem is that I'm not a particularly fast knitter or quilter so those projects tend to take a l-o-n-g time. But this ankle - which, thankfully appears to be finally healing - has forced me to rest more, thus giving me much needed time to complete quite a few projects (and start more so that the finishing line never seems to be in sight).

In my defense, I never expected to be making some of these projects quite so soon. It seems not that long ago that I finished the wedding quilt for Son#5 and DIL#5. Now I have also finished a baby quilt. The happy couple are expecting a bundle of joy in November, but as they are also planning a BIG move before then, I wanted the quilt to be done before they leave. (Having had the experience of receiving an empty parcel bag at Christmas time - the item inside having obviously been removed - I didn't want to trust this quilt to the postal service.)

With not much time to make said quilt, I decided on a simple pattern and big stitch quilting. I did consider - momentarily - machine quilting but decided against it. I prefer hand quilting and, to my mind, it just seems a little more personal, and therefore special, than machine quilting. (Perhaps if I were really skilled at machine quilting I would think otherwise - but the truth is that my machine sewing skills leave a lot to be desired.)

I was also limited to fabric selection because, as I have lamented previously, our one quilting shop in town closed down a while back, and the only other shop that sells fabrics carries only a narrow selection of suitable patchwork fabrics. Still, I was happy with the way the quilt turned out. It has a modern feel and I'm in love with the colour scheme even though it is quite different to what I would normally choose.





I had to get a photo of the quilt on my rocking chair because I'm not sure when I will have the privilege and joy of holding this latest grandchild in my arms. You see, the expectant parents are moving to America in less than a fortnight. Loving and getting to know this grandchild is going to look vastly different than what it has for the previous eight grandbabies. Yet, from the moment I knew of his/her existence, I have felt incredible love for this child. So even though it will be different we will find a way to make it work and already I have some ideas of how we can build those connections.

And until I can get to hold this precious child, my quilt will, hopefully, wrap her/him in a cocoon of love. 

Nana made this quilt for you,
Every stitch with love was sewn.
So that every day and night you'll know,
Nana's love holding you.

Comments