One Thing

I don't think there has been a time before in my life when I have felt so tempted to act illegally. New Zealand is in Lockdown 4 again and I am so over it.

We can buy groceries and go for walks as long as we keep two metres from every one else and wear masks. DH has a supply of duck bill masks that make me laugh every time I see him with one on. We cannot visit friends or family, go to work unless essential workers, or buy anything other than essential items  (which does not include renovation or craft supplies) whether in person or online. Those small one or two person businesses are really feeling the pinch.

With only a few hours' warning before we went into Lockdown we only had time to grab items from work that we would need to work from home, and, after seeing the traffic (unheard of in our town at that time of night) decided to forego grocery items such as fresh milk.

After all, it was only going to be for three days.

It's now been almost a fortnight.

And, as I said above, I am over it.

During that almost fortnight, Son#2, DIL#2 and The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5 (who happens to be Daughter#2 to Son#2 and DIL#2) have celebrated birthdays. I was saddened not to see either Son#2 or DIL#2 on their birthdays but it was not seeing The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5 on her birthday that hurt the most.

Which is where I was tempted to act illegally. During the time we've had in Lockdown I've been able to put together a present of sorts for The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5 but I haven't been able to get it to her. We are allowed to drop off groceries to another household ... leave them at the front door and not see anyone ... but that's all. However I tried to rationalise my desire to drop off gifts to Son#2's family.

It went something like this ...

What harm would it do? How is dropping off birthday gifts any different to dropping off groceries? It's not like we would come into contact with anyone. We could just leave them at the front door. And it's not like there have been any cases in our town or even in our part of the country. It's really a little insane that we're locked down with the rest of the country when all the cases are Auckland and Wellington. We could even wear masks and, if we're lucky, might catch a glimpse of the family through the windows. Besides, I know of several people who have several households in their "bubble" that do not fit government stipulations. Or perhaps we could go for a long walk and just so happen to end up at the beach at the same time Son#2 and his family are there and leave the gifts where they could pick them up [organising such a "meeting" is clearly stated as being illegal].

And so I tried to justify ... and was certainly not helped by seeing others who appeared to not be following the rules particularly on our afternoon walks.

But doing what is right is not about what others are doing or what we can get away with or even whether or not we agree with the law. Whether we like it or not, as long as it does not go against God's law, we are to obey our government. Even when we don't agree. Or when it impinges on our rights and freedoms.

I've seen a lot about this in recent weeks and it has been as if our rights have precedence over everything else ... even obeying Scripture. And yet, citizens' rights and freedoms have been affected at different times in our history and even today. I do not have the freedom to drive on the right side of the road or ignore red traffic lights. I may choose to exercise my freedom and not wear a seatbelt but must be prepared to suffer the consequences: a fine at best or injury or death at worst.

During the World Wars, curfew and blackouts and ration cards were normal in some countries. The freedom to go where they wanted or buy what they wanted was curtailed. In Europe, Jews had all their rights to freedom taken from then and to survive, hid in closets or rooms smaller than most wardrobes for years. 

Previous epidemics and pandemics have meant that freedoms have been restricted. My MIL likes to share how an outbreak of polio meant schools were closed for a time and that as a girl she was so bored she happily did the school work that was printed in the daily newspaper.

Loss of freedom is not unknown. Even today, on the world stage, we are seeing women and children being stripped of basic rights and freedoms. And we complain? Somehow my temporary loss of freedom seems small in comparison.

That doesn't mean I always agree with the restrictions or the government's strategy to deal with this virus, or that I don't chafe at the loss of freedom. Especially when it separates me from family, prevents me worshipping in person, or means I can't buy anything apart from essential items (and even that is limited as my last grocery order failed to provide items such as baking powder and garlic and pumpkin - and I didn't even try to order flour or yeast).

There has been a lot of talk about the economic impact on the community as a result of lockdown. But lockdown and this whole pandemic in general has had an even greater impact than just economics or even health. It has separated and divided families and communities, and even countries. It has fostered mistrust (of governments and of each other) and I suspect the social impact will take far longer to heal than the economic impact.

The Psalmist understood what it was to be separated from loved ones. Fleeing Saul and living in a cave, one could argue that he also knew what it was to suffer lose of freedom. I was reminded of this today as I read Psalm 27. 

Lord, my light and my salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the strength of my life;
Of whom shall I be afraid?

...

One thing I have desired of the Lord,
That will I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
All the days of my life.
To behold the beauty of the Lord,
And to inquire in His temple.
For in the time of trouble
He shall hide me in His pavilion;
In the secret place of His tabernacle
He shall hide me;
He shall set me high upon a rock.

...

I would have lost heart, unless I had believed
That I would see the goodness of the Lord
In the land of the living.

Wait on the Lord;
Be of good courage,
And He shall strengthen your heart;
Wait, I say, on the Lord!

During these days there is only one compass, only one way that can point us in all truth. Let us not lose heart, but continue to wait on the Lord and do what is right.

And in the mean time, I will be patient until I can [lawfully] see family again - even if it is only to drop presents at their door.



Comments