Eating Humble Pie

It would appear that I need to eat humble pie and apologise ... beginning with The Most Adorable Granddaughters#1 and #2. 

As a long-time knitter, having learnt as a child and progressing to cables in my early teens, and lace a year or so later (although not really getting into lace knitting until much later), I've tended to look at crochet as the poor cousin. I knew that some people simply adored it - doing it and the finished projects - but I could never understand why.

Until I started experiencing ongoing pain and joint issues in my hands. For at least three months (possibly, four) I was unable to knit at all. Not even a single row. Recently, I have begun working on a small project again (a sock in 8 ply / DK / light worsted that was meant to be for Son#5 for his birthday - missed that!) but only doing one pattern repeat (eight rounds) at a time. It's slow going, but at least I'm knitting again.

However, that leaves some evenings with an hour or two to spare where I want to craft but am forced to put the knitting needles down (unless I want the pain to return in full force). I'm one of those unfortunate persons who cannot sit and do nothing. Hence I do not like going to movies. The thought of sitting there for an hour or two with idle hands does not compensate for however great a movie it might be. And as a reluctant traveller, I can at least appreciate the time it gives me to sit and craft without distractions.

Therefore, I usually have several projects on the go at once. Often at least one large one that is best done at home, and then one or two or even more smaller ones that are easily transportable.

I am currently trying to finish a quilt that began as a Block of the Month (BOM) over four or more years ago. I had bought the pattern for a wedding quilt but decided it looked too Christmassy. I have only one border left to do before I get to do the happy dance.

But lately it's been far too warm to be sitting under a quilt working away (although I've tried to do it on the weekends so at least some progress is made), and sometimes it seems like too much effort to pull the quilt out just for a short time of working on it.

Which is where the apology comes in. As already mentioned in an earlier post, I began experimenting with crochet at the beginning of the year as a way to help pass the time of an evening. 

I managed to finish my first blanket and used up the majority of my wool scraps left over from previous knitting projects. But then there was another pair of socks that I needed to unravel (the foot was not worth saving but the wool on the legs was still in good condition), I felt tempted by some images I saw online, I'd experimented with different ways of beginning granny squares and found one I preferred, and I still had some tiny lengths of scraps left that were big enough for the centres of granny squares (but not much good for keeping otherwise). And so another project was begun.



(Yes, despite now being pretty-much post-renovations and having all my sewing and knitting paraphernalia together in one cupboard, I cannot find my blocking pins. Since I had already purchased a second pack when I couldn't find the first pack - and can now find neither - quilting pins had to step in and help out.)

The plan is to work on this slowly in between the knitting and the quilt. I'm not sure if that's realistic. I tend to become somewhat obsessed with my projects and like to see them finished Right Now!

I was inspired by a number of blankets by this crafter that remind me of scrap quilts (which I adore). I'm wanting to make nine large blocks each made up of nine smaller blocks. Five will be edged in white and four edged in another neutral colour, and then the blocks will be joined together nine-patch style.

I think the centres look like flowers (or starfish). As for that hexagons I first experimented with, I undid them and turned them into squares so as not to waste even one tiny bit of wool. I felt that squares would be easier to sew together than the hexagon. However, the experimentation was not in vain as I have discovered that it's the perfect design for a dishcloth (and for some reason, even seems to work better than my tightly knitted ones).


And so I apologise ... for being so high-minded and snobbish ... for failing to see the beauty in another craft ... for not recognising the skills involved (skills that I am not ever likely to attain since I have a feeling I'll always be a beginner and am too old/nervous/stubborn/unskilled to branch out and try new stitches) ... and for taking so long to come to the craft. But now I appreciate all that you accomplish with fresh eyes and increased admiration! (How do you get all those squares square?)

Comments