Privilege


Yesterday DH and I had the privilege of voting. Privilege, because it's not something that is or has been an automatic right for all people throughout history or the world. In New Zealand, it's not compulsory to vote (as it is in Australia), yet it seems that many turned out this time around to cast their vote. While the final results are not yet in, it looks as if we are to have quite a shake-up in government.

I think a lot of New Zealanders tend to be fairly private when it comes to their political views, and, certainly, I'm no exception. Although strongly believing that things needed to change, I wasn't overly thrilled with any of the candidates standing nor with their stance on a number of issues that I consider critical.

Yesterday, having cast my vote, I was reminded that whatever happens, our God is sovereign. In Daniel 2:21 we are told that "he removeth kings, and setteth up kings". Throughout history, God's plans have not been thwarted by those in government and that is not about to change now, regardless of who will end up ruling this country in the coming days (or how well or otherwise they fulfil their role).

Comments