Fifteen To Two

Fifteen to two. The number of individuals living in our home on the weekend compared to the number today.

They're gone. All of them. 

The sheets have been changed; the towels washed and put away; the extra table and chairs packed up; the bath, which saw more use in one weekend than it regularly sees in a month, has been cleaned; the last of the Lego packed away; books returned to their shelves; items that had been moved or put out of sight, returned to their rightful place; and DH and I have finished up the last of the leftovers.

But here and there I catch a scent; I find a lone sock or a left-behind item; I see a reminder that they were here. And I miss them all over again.

It feels that I've done this too many times in the past year. Always saying goodbye.

And yet - yet - I am proud that they are going off and living their own lives. Proud of who they have become and the beautiful families they are raising. Proud of what DH and I have had the privilege of somehow being involved in. Proud of every single one. Every single one.

I just wish they hadn't gone from this ...


to this ...

in no time at all. 

Comments