In The Kitchen Again

The temperature's dropping and when that happens we want nothing more than a good hot meal. I've put chicken and vegetables in the oven and I'm toying with the idea of making a dessert. Anything to ward off those winter chills.

I don't know if it's my generation or just me, but when I was growing up, wearing aprons was definitely not cool. I can remember my mother having a drawer full of aprons but I can't remember her ever wearing one. For years I didn't wear one either until I discovered that they really do protect your clothes. Now I can make my favourite Double Choc Muffins and not have to worry about getting chocolate mix all over me!

A few weeks ago I made some aprons from a pattern I found here. I made them reversible which meant no hems to worry about. I probably should have adjusted the pattern since it allowed for 1" hems on the sides and lower edge, but I was feeling lazy - and they turned out okay so it obviously wasn't that critical. The D-rings are a great idea but could be replaced with ties if desired. I used cotton tape in place of ribbon simply because it was cheaper.

I used fabric that I had floating around but just about anything could be called into duty. Perhaps a pretty floral fabric on one side for the women in the family and stripes on the other for the men, or do what I did and make several (there is a striped one for the males in my household - not that they'll ever wear it but the thought was there).

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
My mother usually wore aprons but I didn't until the last few years. Tired of ruining clothes.
Jules said…
I started wearing them when I was making bread and muffins a lot and realised that they were very useful items to have around.

I made 3 aprons from the pattern and they are wonderful!