A Morning at Home

Rushing out the door this morning to go to work, I suddenly realised that Son#4 wasn't with us.

"Where's your brother?" I asked Son#5.

"In bed."

Oh dear. I had known that he wasn't feeling well but the last time I'd seen him he'd been walking around the house with his white school shirt in his hand (our students all wear school uniforms) looking lost (probably looking for the iron - or his socks). I'd already told him that he could stay home but he'd said he was okay. Now as I was about to leave for work, I discovered that he wasn't okay and felt too sick to go to school.

I rarely take sick-leave for myself so I knew I had some leave I could take and stay home with him but I had also been told that my supervisor would be late so I had to at least go in until she arrived. Thankfully I was able to come home after the first hour since this morning is the day I do non-contact (paper work) and I'm not needed on the floor.

Son#4 was looking better when I got home although he is still all blocked up and gets dizzy when he stands up. But he seems okay enough for me to go back into work for a few hours after lunch. I want to be at home with my son, but I know how hard it is to get relievers at the moment. There are several other staff off sick this week. Because he does seem to have improved, I'll go in for a few hours and then since I have tomorrow off, I can spend the whole day with him if he's still not well.

While home this morning I've been able to do my non-contact work, do a load of washing, make 2 slices, put tea on, and sweep the kitchen floor.

I made two of the Chocolate Coconut Slice recipe that I posted the other day. I was a little short of butter, so added extra golden syrup. Then I replaced the white sugar with brown sugar and the flour with wholemeal flour (and doubled the baking powder). I didn't have enough coconut so I used extra Weet-Bix crumbs to make up the difference (didn't I say it was a versatile recipe?). Now I just have to pick up some icing sugar on my way home from work so that I can ice it.

While they were baking I put Pumpkin and Split Pea Soup with Bacon into the slow cooker and Yoghurt Bread in the breadmaker. Oh the wonder of modern appliances!

The yoghurt bread is similar in taste to Sourdough bread but without the hassle of making the yeast bug. As for the soup, I suspect Son#4 won't be too impressed when he learns what it is. Son#2 and Son#4 have never developed a taste for soup, especially soup that contains things like barley, split peas, or lentils. A shame, because I love them but after several awful meal times where both sons were gagging on their food and their father insisting they eat it, I gave up making it.

I remember one time when Son#4 had spilt some of the vegetables from his soup on the table, his father told him that they had to get eaten, and immediately he picked them up and plopped them into Son#2's bowl. Son#2 looked at me and we both burst out laughing. I can't remember the outcome of that meal (probably a good thing) but it struck me as funny that of all his brothers, he chose the one most like himself and who was most likely to complain. Anyway, since Son#4 isn't feeling well, he's not likely to want much to eat anyway.

If I'm feeling nice I might make an Apple Crumble for dessert when I get home. Hopefully that will make up for feeding them soup!

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
I hope your son feels better soon. I love soup but I did hate split peas when I was a child.
Daisy said…
I love my slow cooker Jules! Sorry your son is feeling sick. Blah, that's no fun at all!

Your goodies down below look soooo very, very yummy!

I've been trying to think of an embarrassing moment, I know I've had plenty, but I can't think of one at this moment. Oh wait ... my first speech in grade 4, I was sooo nervous that I spoke so fast that I don't think anyone understood one word I said. I had the speech memorized and spoke as fast as I could. I think everyone was in shock, but they clapped anyway. And the principal came to hear our speeches that day, I was so embarrassed. To this day when I have to speak in front of an audience, I do NOT memorize the whole thing, just bits and pieces of it and I keep a copy in my hands should I draw a blank.
April said…
I love soup, but am with Kathryn; when I was young I didn't like split peas at all. I thought it was the nastiest looking thing in the world to set down in front of me to eat! Now I love it.

I hope your son is feeling better. By the way, I noticed that you weren't feeling well recently either. I have that same problem about two times a year it seems - and had just gotten over my last bout with it when you got hit.
Unknown said…
Jules, every time I read your blog lately, I end up really hungry :). I had never ever had split pea soup until I was married. I really love it, especially homemade. I hope your son is feeling better!