Another Round


I've finished the jumper I knitted for Son#4 and as I was doing so, the realisation came that this is probably the first jumper I've ever knitted for Son#4. I knitted for his older brothers when they were little, and because I like to use pure wool, those jumpers were in good enough condition to hand down (in fact I've kept some of them and The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World has worn them on occasion when she visits). With several little ones in the house there wasn't time to knit especially when there were already good jumpers to be had. The same with Son#5.

I felt sad when I thought about it but now I have knitted a jumper for Son#4 and unlike his older brothers, he's actually been seen wearing it! (Okay the first time he had his pyjamas on but at least he was wearing it.)

This one I knitted the body in the round (but not the sleeves because I didn't have small circular needles and found that it didn't easily work with the set I did have). In the past I've avoided knitting the body in the round because it can make a person look 'round' (for myself at least and this is not a look I need) but Son#4 doesn't have to worry about that!

I have plans to knit for Son#5 next year and even thought about ordering the wool now but I know that if I do I'll want to start knitting straight away and that wouldn't be a great idea just now for at least two reasons: (1) it will soon be too warm to knit, and (2) there are other projects I should finish first. So I'll hold off on ordering that wool, and perhaps by next season they'll have some new colours (I do love this wool because it's so soft and warm and knits up quickly but it's only available in shades of grey, white and brown which can get a little monotonous after a while).

Knitting another jumper isn't the only project I've wanted to start. I've had a hankering to start a new quilt and the other day even drew up patterns for another stained glass quilt to go with this one:


However, as much as I'd love to start another quilt (and it's not easy to overcome the desire especially when I walk past the fabric shop) I think I'll finish the quilts I already have on the go. With three needing to be finished, whatever mood I'm in (hand or machine piecing, hand applique, or hand quilting) can be catered for. And if I feel the need to do some knitting (especially in the car) I can always do something small for The Most Adorable Granddaughter that shouldn't affect my plans too greatly.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You forgot another reason: brother#4 (aka Son#5) will probably grow a bit more before it gets cold enough to wear a wool jumper again.
BellaMama said…
That is a handsome sweater! I've avoided knitting for my boys since they still like to roll in the mud! I think (my) boys should have sweaters as babies and dignified adults!!
Have you tried a different stitch for the yoke as apposed to color? I think I will undertake cables next. Now, which one will be perfect....hmmm?!

Blessings, Mrs. C.
SchnauzerMom said…
Gorgeous sweater! I've never knitted one in the round.

I've got 3 quilts that I've been working on. Actually, I haven't done anything on them in several weeks. Need to get motivated.
Jules said…
Hi 'Anonymous' (aka Son#2). Brother#4/Son#5 will most likely grow betweem now and next winter but because I'm knitting men's sizes, I think the jumper will still fit him next year. But I do have other projects I must work on first including one particular quilt.

Bellamama, I love working with cables and fancy stitches but I've always wanted to knit Icelandic jumpers and now that I've finally got around to doing it, I'm really enjoying it. I guess when I get bored with 2 or 3 colour patterns I could try experimenting with different stitches.

Snauzermom, I think any 'true' quilter always has several on the go. That way, when the fancy strikes to do piecing or applique or quilting or a particular 'style' of quilt, we've got something to work on.
bunches of yarn said…
What a nice sweater--and quilt.

I've done some (maybe 3 or 4) icelandic sweaters for customers. I love how quickly they go, as I anticipate the next color. I prefer DP needles rather than circulars. It would be nice to try cables in a yoke too.

Those cinnamon rolls sound delicious.
^__^