Cinnamon Swirls, Baked Doughnuts, and Other Things

Sons#4 & #5 were bored this morning. I could've given them a list of jobs to do instead I suggested they do some baking. After riffling through my recipe books they chose Cinnamon Swirls and Baked Doughnuts. The doughnuts are still rising, but the cinnamon swirls were yummy and are all gone.

This is a great recipe to whip up if you like cinnamon rolls but are in a hurry, or if you're avoiding yeast. It's a basic scone recipe just jazzed up a little. I'm going to be really kind and share it here (sorry no photo - the rolls were eaten before I could get the camera out).


Cinnamon Swirls

In a bowl place 2 cups SR flour (or 2 cups plain flour and 2 teaspoons baking powder) and a pinch of salt. Rub in 90g butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add 2/3 cup milk and mix until a soft dough forms (this is even easier if done in a food processor). Turn out and knead lightly then pat out into a rectangle.

Mix together 60g softened butter, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and spread over the dough. Roll the dough up from the long side then cut into 1" rounds. Place just touching on a tray, cut side up.

Bake at 210 degrees Celsius for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. While still warm drizzle with icing (frosting) made with 1 cup icing sugar and 1 tablespoon boiling water. Enjoy!


While the boys were baking, I swallowed my fear and sat down at my sewing machine. I've just discovered that I can do curved piecing using my machine, which is going to save me a lot of hand work on the quilt I'm currently working on. This is quite an accomplishment for a girl who is literally afraid of the sewing machine (and with good reason!). My machine is over 25 years old, many of the stitches no longer work, and the bobbin thread keeps breaking because it's always more tightly wound on one side and I don't know how to adjust it.

Things haven't been going smoothly for DH either. He's pulling floorboards out of the area where our shower room used to be. When we pulled our shower out we discovered that several boards had rotted and would need replacing. Our floors are beautiful rimu but recycled rimu floorboards in the size we require are very hard to get. We've been trying for almost a year, and finally this last week found boards to match. Anyone who has ever renovated an old house will know what I'm talking about. So now we have a hole in the middle of the floor. I just hope it's not going to be that way for too long!

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
The cinnamon swirls sound very good.

It's easy to sew curves, I prefer straight lines whenever possible.

I hope you can find the wood that you want. You don't a want a hole in your bathroom too long.
Jules said…
Hi Schnauzermom, I'm afraid sewing curves hasn't been easy for me. But I'm getting there! In fact, I'm starting to think it's easier on the machine than by hand.

We've had to send the wood back. It was the wrong size. But it looks as if we can get some the right size. Our bathroom renovation is a long-term project. :)
BellaMama said…
You can check the tension (where the upper/lower threads are giving you trouble) by using scrap fabric, sew a seem or edge and adjusting the tentioner to the left/right or up/down (depending on your machine)see how the thread looks. If it's worse, then turn it the other way. I'm assuming it's a dial. I had the same thing happen to mine, but I had been using too thick of thread. It was messed up until I cleaned and oiled it and stopped using such a thick thread.

I REALLY would like to try those Cinnamon swirls, but my metric is completely rusted. I'm going to have to find a conversion page and figure it!! LOL yes, I'll review so I will be able to teach my children, since they are learning to cook!

It's so nice to see all you've been doing - a real encouragement!!

Blessings,
Mrs. C.
Jules said…
Hi Bellamama, 30g is approx 1 tablespoon - if that helps with the conversion and 210 degrees C would be between 375 and 400 degrees F.

When the machine winds the thread on to the bobbin it seems to wind it more tightly on one side. Often the bobbin thread is all 'bumpy' and I have to re-wind it onto another bobbin before I can use it. Sometimes I can sew for ages without the bobbin thread breaking, other times it will break every few rows. I don't change anything on the machine but one moment it can be working perfectly and the next moment it's not. :) I'm too scared to adjust it in case it never works properly again.