How Easily I've Forgotten

I'd forgotten how tired one can get looking after an almost-two-year-old. DIL#1 is feeling unwell with this current pregnancy, and since today was my day off work, I offered to take The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World to give her mum a break. I mean, how hard can it be to look after just one little person? I look after twelve every day - with the help of two other teachers - but surely one on my own couldn't be any more difficult.

I learnt otherwise. Today I realised that I'd forgotten how much work a toddler can be - especially when they're in your home. I feel as if I've spent the day cleaning up messes! And this despite The Most Adorable Granddaughter actually being quite good at picking up her toys. It's just the biscuit crumbs and the spilled noodles and all the other bits and pieces that collect on the floor and which weren't there yesterday.

This morning I had a brilliant idea and thought I'd get The Most Adorable Granddaughter to help me with baking. What was I thinking?! After The Most Adorable Granddaughter attempted (unsuccessfully) to roll the biscuit dough I decided I'd roll the dough into balls and she could then place the balls on the trays. Which she did: twelve balls squeezed together in one corner of the tray. One modern view on child development is that you don't re-do what a child has attempted because it could make them feel that what they do is not good enough but I admit that I sneakily moved the dough balls around when she wasn't looking. And the biscuits turned out quite yummy - even if I do say so myself.

In the afternoon The Most Adorable Granddaughter slept and we all enjoyed the break. I got to do some writing, and Son#2 and Son#3 were able to study uninterrupted. Is this to say that I wouldn't do it all over again? Absolutely not. I enjoyed every minute of it - even if I do suddenly feel my age!

Comments

Daisy said…
Congratulations Jules! How exciting it must be for you to have another Grandchild on the way! Thats cute about the balls all squeezed together in the corner of the tray ...heehee! I got a chuckle out of that!

I feel for your DIL and the morning sickness.
Unknown said…
It is tiring isn't it?! They are on the move constantly, which I think is why it is so tiring. I'm sure your DIL really appreciated you watching her so that she could get a break! Those breaks are so helpful.
BellaMama said…
I am laughing WITH you!!
Don't worry about re-doing her work, you can always say, "This is how g'ma does this. Now you try just like g'ma!" G'ma's way is fun to do and try, it's always different from mama's.
Hope the mama is soon better and you thoroughly enjoy your time!
SchnauzerMom said…
I wish I had as much energy as she has.