It Couldn't Happen to Me

It couldn't - but it did. Just recently I walked into a salon and specified a 1/4" trim and came out 2" shorter. Plus the stylist cut my hemline into a gentle U when I prefer blunt and it was crooked! After tears and consulting DH, we decided to pretty much leave it alone apart from removing just the tiniest amount from the right side.

Sigh! I've heard of others having such experiences but I didn't expect it to happen to me. I wasn't nervous about visiting this salon. I'd been before and they were always good about not taking more than I asked for. In fact, often they'd only take half of what I'd asked.

Admittedly, visiting the hairdresser has never been a great experience for me. I've often come home in tears because I expected the stylist to do the impossible and make me beautiful, or because I'd agreed to layers which would make the top layer curl up way shorter than the rest, but I'd never had a bad cut ... until now.

Not only was I upset but I was also angry - mainly at myself for trusting a new stylist, but also a little at the stylist for not doing what I asked. I had expected to lose up to an inch, and was prepared for that, but two inches when I only asked for 1/4", was definitely not what I expected. And please tell me, how hard is it to cut in a straight line and get the hemline even? DH isn't trained but even he can manage that when he trims for me.

My goal of 38" is now a year or more away. I'm just hoping that I don't stall at 33" again like I did earlier this year. The growth I've gained this year is all gone - and more. This has been so discouraging. But perhaps only those who make long hair a hobby can really understand. If you have short hair and you're sitting here thinking I'm ridiculous for getting upset over a couple of inches then it's because you don't understand the time and care that goes into long hair.

Anyway, the time of moaning is over. I've learnt a few things from this experience (such as never trust anyone but DH to trim my hair) but now am trying to focus on the positive:

1. I won't need another trim for a long l-o-n-g time;

2. I now have thick healthy ends and I can run my fingers through my hair without snarling or tangles. That's a good feeling;

3. I've discovered that DH prefers the U hemline (although I'm not convinced);

4. I've rediscovered my wave pattern. Obviously this trim has brought it out and I do like it even if it did cost me valuable inches;

5. The tail of my braid looks so thick now. This surprised me because I would have thought that a U-shaped hemline would have made it look thinner;

6. The fringe (bangs) is sitting well again after months of being absolutely awful. I still don't like it (DH does though) but perhaps I can grow it all out easier this way before deciding what fringe style I'd like; and

7. When all is said and done, it is only hair and it will grow again.

But for anyone else contemplating a trim: you've been warned. Be very careful whom you trust and ask the stylist to show you how much she/he plans on cutting before she puts the scissors to your hair.

Comments

BellaMama said…
I'm so sorry you had to learn this way, but I guess you'll never forget!
My oldest brushed her hair with hair things in it, after being told many times not to do that and got a horrible knot. Now I have taken out knots since I was a child...I never knew a knot I couldn't convince to go straight! LOL
But this one, I could not pull a single hair through. I took the time, took time off and tried many, many times. I had never cut her hair and it was past her waist, beautifully perfect. I didn't want to leave a gap of short hair (it was a huge knot) so I ended cutting it to her mid-back...at least that's what I thought until I COULD NOT cut it straight. I had to even it (and it was still very crooked) all the way to her shoulders!! We both cried for a long time and I TREASURE her pictures with her long hair!! That was her baby hair!! Oh well!
She's grown it out to her mid-back/almost waist & she loves it.
Yes, it will grow back...maybe it was a trim to help in your hair maintenance.
(I like the blunt cut too.)
My dh said the other day that maybe he would like my hair longer...I about fell out of my chair!! I felt horrible for cutting it and had to examine my heart as to why I did it in the first place. I reminded him how he notices it more when it's short and I ALWAYS wore it in a braid or bun when it was long. I think we're agreed for now.
Sorry, so much to say!
Hope your hair grows long, strong & most importantly you and your dh love it!!
Many blessings
Mrs. C.
Jules said…
Hi Bellamama, you're right. I won't forget in a hurry. I've been reminded again of why I prefer it long and why I usually avoid hair salons.

My DH never seemed to 'notice' my hair when it was long either until I'd cut it and then he would tell me he preferred it long! I pointed out that he never said anything and eventually he realised that if he wanted me to keep it long he had to give me lots of positive feedback. Now he comments regularly - especially when it's down. He'd prefer it was always down but that's not possible although I try to wear it down at least once a week for him. And I do try to wear styles that are flattering and which he can appreciate (no severely scraped back hair into tight little knots). We just have to come to a compromise on my fringe/bangs now!

Sorry about your daughter's hair. That would have been heart-breaking. Hopefully she'll never try that again.

Blessings, Jules
SchnauzerMom said…
I know how you feel. Even though it does grow back it takes time and that can be frustrating. It looks very lovely though.
bunches of yarn said…
Oh Jules, I know, I know...
Yes, it will grow back, but the whole thing is difficult to survive gracefully.
When I found the Faye method on the boards, it was the most helpful hair trimming idea I had ever seen.
I've never had a problem with it.
My DIL has me trim her hair because she does not trust the salons. She has been to the neighbourhood salons and the very expensive salons...does not like them.
Jules said…
Hi SM, thanks for the compliment. I know that you know how I feel. I've stopped beating myself up about a poor decision and am just looking on the positive.

I could add two extra postive points to my original post:

8. I'm determined to keep my hair long for as long as I possibly can and may never again enter a salon;

9. I never noticed it before when I was at this length but this is actually an ideal length: it's still long (just below waist), flattering (at least I think so), able to be worn down or up, easy to care for, and I can braid it without my arms aching or my hair tangling. If when I get longer I decide I want to cut, this would be a good length to cut back to.
Jules said…
Hi Bunches of Yarn, I know you've had a bad hair experience in the past so thank you for your sympathy and support.

I've used the Feye method but only for really small trims and I'm not too confident with it yet. I'm not sure if my wave pattern emerging again is the result of the professional trim or because of the extra inches she took off. I'd like to keep these waves if I could. But I'm very reluctant to go back to a salon ever again.