Happiness Test

Last night I came across this Happiness Test in an old magazine that I was reading. I'm not sure if I was surprised or not when I scored 'very satisfied' (I have to work at not being negative at times) but I decided to include the statements and my responses here - just for fun (and will include the scoring scale in the comments section for those that are interested).

One: In most ways my life is close to my ideal. When I look back on what I wanted as a child, I dreamed of being a wife and mother and a doctor. Okay, I'm not a doctor, but I was a nurse for a time. I'm still a wife and mother and if I've ended up in a profession that never interested me when I was at school it's because I firmly believe that God led me in this direction.

Two: The conditions of my life are excellent. How can I argue with this, especially considering that I'm not living in the developing world? I have a roof over my head (okay it leaks on occasion but it does perform its function relatively well most of the time); the only complaints I can make about food are that I eat too much of it at times, and at this time of the year it's hard to come by decent fruit; I have fresh clean running water in my home, and even though our bathroom is not yet complete, I can still indulge in long hot baths. To put it simply, all my basic needs are supplied and more.

Three: I am satisfied with my life. I should be. I'm better off than the majority of people in this world, I have a family that I adore, a job that I enjoy, time to do the things that interest me, affordable health care, and the freedom to worship as I please. Perhaps if as a child I'd ever imagined living overseas I would probably have chosen somewhere exotic (and warm!) but really, I'm not complaining.

Four: So far I have got the important things I want in life. What are those important things? Family. Sons that are going on for the Lord. Grandchildren. A secure marriage. Opportunities to write. Faith. What else is there?

Five: If I could live my life over, I would change almost nothing. This is a hard one to know how to answer. Sure there are some things that I might think about changing, but then would my life be the same that it is now? Perhaps those things that I could (and should) do differently can be summed up by a text a friend sent me on New Year's Day: forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably. Or as someone else said: Laugh more and stress less.

Comments

Jules said…
To Score:

On a scale of 1-7, indicate how much you agree or disagree with each statement:
1. Strongly agree.
2. Disagree.
3. Slightly disagree.
4. Neither agree nor disagree.
5. Slightly agree.
6. Agree.
7. Strongly agree.

Add up your scores:

5-9 Extremely dissatisfied with your life
10-14 Very dissatisfied
20 Neutral
21-25 Somewhat satisfied
26-30 Very satisfied
31-35 Extremely satisfied

(From "Reader's Digest", November 1998.)
SchnauzerMom said…
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I would have to say I'm somewhat satisfied. There are things that I would change but then that's all in the past and I need to live in the present.
Unknown said…
It was hard to answer some of them because my life hasn't turned out anything like I thought it would! Not that it has been bad, but it has been way different than I thought it would be, with way more bumps along the road than I had expected :). Hmm, I will have to think about this test more and see how to answer the questions.