Wash Out





The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

This morning we woke at 3.00am to the sound of rain beating against our tent. I heard DH zip up the opening and suddenly I felt claustrophobic and as if I had to get out of there. But at 3.00am with the rain pouring down there was nowhere to go. Instead I had to somehow fight the panic, lie down and go back to sleep. To take my mind off my fear, I started reciting Psalm 23 over and over again - in several versions - except I couldn't remember which version was which! And at that time of the morning I was having a terrible time trying to remember the third verse.





He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters.

At 6.00am I woke again and pulled out my Bible and started memorising Psalm 23 before once more going back to sleep.





He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His Name's sake.

When we finally crawled out of our tent what a sight met our eyes! Our sun shade was bowing under the weight of the water that it had collected overnight; our towels and swimwear which had been neatly pegged to ropes were now lying all over the ground; and food and other items were wet and soggy.





Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me.

We decided to pack up and come on home. While DH and Son#3 went out in the kayaks to bring in the set line the rest of us packed up our belongings.





Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

But it wasn't a total wash out. Yesterday was a glorious day and we had a wonderful time on the beach. And this afternoon DIL and those sons that were 'game' got to eat the crabs that Son#1 and Son#3 had caught late last night (and which they had planned to eat for breakfast until we were forced to pack and come home early).






Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever (Psalm 23, KJV).

Now wet items are strewn all around my house but already the family is talking about the next camping trip. There's something about getting washed out on a camping trip that makes wonderful family memories - and the further away you move from that period of time, the more glowing the accounts of the 'family holiday that got washed out'. Still, some times it would be nice to have a tame family camping weekend where nothing happened apart from lots of rest and relaxation!

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
Great photos! Too bad you got rained out. I wish you could send some of that rain my way. Your grandaughter looks like she's have a fabulous time in the mud!
Jules said…
LOL. Yes it looks like mud but it's actually black sand. When we first moved here it took me a whole year before I would walk on the sand, having been spoilt with golden sand on the beaches growing up.
Unknown said…
What wonderful pictures! It makes me want summer to get here :). When I look out my window, I see 14 inches of snow! I am amazed though at God's creation. Snow, though cold, is so beautiful. Yesterday it looked like there were diamonds glinting in the sun on the snow. So each season has it's own unique beauty doesn't it?