A Long List of Rules

As a mother of five I've made lots of lists and rules in my time: Don't run inside; Don't talk with food in your mouth; Say 'please' and 'thank you'; No whining in this house; No calling names; Make your bed; Clean your teeth; Do the dishes; Keep your seat belt on; Ask before you help yourself to food; etc, etc.

I love rules. They keep the wheels of daily life turning smoothly. "Why?" "Because that's the rule in this house." Simple.

Rules change from family to family. And even from situation to situation. "At home you can run around with just your swimmers on but you have to get dressed when we go out."

Sometimes as Christians we love rules too. I'm not talking about the Ten Commandments or what Jesus called the greatest and second greatest commandments (Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength, and love thy neighbour as thyself).

No, I'm talking about those rules that we as humans make and convince ourselves that we must follow if we are to continue to consider ourselves Christians. As I've explored the huge world of the internet, I've been exposed to some of these rules. I've been influenced by some - judged by others - but I've come to realise that they are only rules.

When we take something and make it a hard and fast rule we fall prey to a holier-than-thou attitude. We look around and discover that there are Christian brothers and sisters not living according to this rule. We're shocked that they can so wantonly disobey what is so obvious in Scripture (or so we think based on our own -often flawed - interpretation) and so we judge them.

We forget about grace. We forget that rules don't make us holy. We forget that God looks on the heart not the outward appearance.

We live by a list of rules rather than as an outpouring of our love for God and our neighbour.

God calls us to live for Him - wherever He has placed us. He wants us to live holy, godly lives, not governed by a long list of rules, but out of love for Him. Yes we are called to obey - and there are many examples in Scripture of how to obey - but we are not called to religiously follow man-made rules. That's not what Christianity is about and it's not what God wants.

If He asks us to do something, then we must be obedient and do it. But just because He asks of us one thing doesn't mean He will ask others the same. We're not to go making rules on what He has called us to do. Because on that final day, I don't think He's going to judge us on whether or not we followed all the rules but rather on how much we loved God and our neighbour.

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
I know what you mean. I think that's why we have some many different churches and denominations.
Mary said…
Oh, yes, that was a very, very good post, Jules! I find the subject of legalism fascinating, because I have been in it myself, been abused by it and possibly have abused others with it. And, yes, people can make the Scriptures say almost anything once they get on a legalistic roll. The sad thing is that we forget about Jesus when we go there. Be begin to bask in our own "holiness" and condemn others,and pretty soon we are condemning ourselves, too.
Jules said…
SchnauzerMom. I agree that different churches make 'rules' about various things, but some differences between denominations are based on interpretation of Scripture - which doesn't necessarily include 'rules'. My post was more about legalism which often masquerades as a measure of holiness. Just about anything can be a target: clothes, hair, education, parenting, marriage relationships, employment, leisure time, pursuits, music, worship, etc etc. And I've been so guilty of it - as Civilla herself has admitted. I wonder how many of us are truly free of the chains of legalism?
java girl said…
Jules,

Thank you for this post! It is refreshing to me. Since I've entered blogland I've seen a lot of legalism, some in my self some in others. Though I have been a christian since I was ten I am daily challanged and often fall short. Thank God for Jesus :O)