I'll Admit It

I've gone from scared to petrified.

Amend that to absolutely petrified. And I don't know what to do about it.

When I started writing a novel I did it because I love writing. I can't help myself. I just want to write. And when I write I'm in a different world and lose track of time completely. It's wonderful!

When I sent my manuscript off I never expected it to be accepted. I knew the chances of an unknown author getting published and they were pretty close to zilch. So when I heard from the publisher it was exhilarating!

Now, with the publication of the book getting closer, it's no longer wonderful or exhilarating. Instead, it's scary. Very very scary.

What if people don't like it?

What if someone I know reads it and they get upset? Or offended?

What if someone thinks I've put them in the book?

What if my kids are embarrassed to admit they're related to me? (Okay, rub that one out. I've got teenagers. Of course, they're embarrassed by their Mum.)

What if people think I'm not good enough to be published?

What if ...?

I lie awake at night hoping I don't end up making my family ashamed of me. Wondering if I'll still be able to face the people I work with. And my friends.

I tell you, this isn't at all what I expected.

But I have to remind myself that when I sent that MS off I placed it in the Lord's Hands. I believed that whatever happened would be His will. So if I trusted Him back then with the MS why am I trying to take it back now?

... being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus (Philippians 1:6, NIV).

Comments

Liliana said…
I can't wait to read this book now. Must read. What did ya put in there anyways!? I am so buying it.

Jules, you can't live in the world of "What if." I know, because I go there all the time. :) I hope your upsettedness will decrease and fade away completely - to be replaced by joy and accomplishment. (And that is the perfect photo with today's post.)
Daisy said…
Oh Jules! Julllles! You should be dancing around your house with excitement! And your family, I'm sure are majorly proud of you! Now, Jules you must get started on your NEXT book! Throw out those self doubts, and rejoice!

p.s. I got the blurb and the shopping cart as well. Will stay tuned! :)
SchnauzerMom said…
I think you did good and your book will be great. I hope I get a chance to read it.
Mary said…
Now you sound like me. I am constantly wondering "what if." I have an over-active imagination. Now I will have to buy your book, too.
Noel said…
Personally I can't wait to read your book! But I know when you put youself out there, you do feel like your neck is on the chopping block. It will go well!
winterwren said…
I almost never leave comments here (mainly because I myself do not have a blog or even a profile.) But I do read On Eagle's Wings. More than I read the blogs of my friends, who tend to update their blogs, oh, four times a year. You write *very* well, Jules. Even in your posts on the Loom. I noticed that immediately and am betting your book is lovely.

However, if I were you, I would also be terrified, so I won't tell you not to be. I know a pastor with awful stage fright who says that most reassurances--"you'll do fine," "it'll be great,"--just add to their anxiety. That is so true for me. What helped that pastor is when the other pastors said, "no matter what happens, we will still respect you and care about you." I am sure that everyone you know feels that way. And of course God loves you no matter what.
Jules said…
Liliana, Daisy, SchnauzerMom, Mary, Noel and Winterwren, I appreciate your comments so much. Your words of encouragement were just what I needed at a time when I was really doubting myself. I suspect that others feel like this at times. I don't know if I'll ever get used to it but I thank you so much for your support. God has blessed me with such wonderful friends and I am so thankful.