Reflections from a Rather Ruffled Renovator: Panic


This is the stage that comes after dreams and excitement.

I'm talking about our impending home renovations. For fifteen years we have dreamed of all the changes we'd make if only we had the time and/or money. For over twelve months we have slowly allowed ourselves to become excited as plans were drawn up and quotes obtained.

Now the next stage is about to begin. The one that occurs before chaos and a long time before delight. It's called Panic.

Already I'm having second thoughts. I think about the mess and the dust and the upheaval and wonder if I really want to do this (I do - I just wish there was an easier way). I rearrange rooms and wonder how I'm going to cook and clean and wash while all this is going on. It doesn't help that we're heading into winter and are going to lose a great big section of external wall so that the work can commence.

What were we thinking?

And then there's all the decisions to be made. I thought we'd be smart and make those decisions now. I even got a little book to write down product names and colours and all that kind of stuff so that we don't forget what it was we'd agreed upon.

It seems the agreeing part is going to take some doing. That's if we can find something to agree upon. Today we went looking at wall tiles for the kitchen. I know exactly what I want. Off-white tiles 100x200mm. Simple. The tiles are available. DH agreed. Except ...

Except capping tiles or bullnose tiles or whatever you want to call the top row of tiles do not seem to be available. The guy in the shop showed us metal strips which are used to cap off the last row of tiles. DH told him quite frankly that they looked ugly. I could've kicked him except we were in public and it probably wouldn't have been a good look. However he's now the one saying that the metal strip might look nice after all.

I do not want a metal strip. I want capping tiles. I want everything that I picture to be available and at discount prices naturally. I want this to be as easy as falling off a log. I want this to be over. Already.

I'm planning to blog about our renovation project. One hundred days of renovation or something ridiculous like that. I suspect it's going to be what keeps me sane!

Comments

delete233209 said…
Hugs!

This sounds like how I do projects. I get a mental picture of what I want, and expect someone to carry it cheaply. Usually they don't, but I stubbornly keep looking anyway.

Try thinking of it as a camping trip? :)
Unknown said…
Oh yes, I know what you are talking about. I remember when we decided to finish our basement off at our old house. At first, it was excitement. Then came the panic as I realized what kind of mess this was going to be (the drywall dust alone was AWFUL, and it was upstairs and downstairs). But in the end, it was really worth it. So just try and see past the work part to the end result :). It is exciting!!