Second Chance


Today our flute group got a second chance at those pieces we messed up so badly a short while ago. I think we did better.

DH at least wasn't negative. He did say that he enjoyed the violinist most. Well of course he did! An afternoon with the local Music Society may not have been his thing (he insisted on coming to support me) but the young girl who played the violin was exceptional! You would have had to be not breathing not to enjoy her!

It reminded me that I so often get second chances. And third ... and fourth ...

This morning before church I was downstairs trying to rearrange my out-in-public-must-smile-and-pretend-to-have-it-all-together-mask when I threw a prayer heavenwards. Lord, is there just one person up there who cares? (referring to the congregation gathering above my head).

I composed myself and walked upstairs and looked for somewhere to sit. As I made my way toward a row that had enough seats for DH, Son#5 and myself, someone slipped into the seat first. There was still enough room for us - but only just. That was okay. I still sat there.

Then something amazing happened. Well, amazing from a human point of view but not from God's perspective. The person I was sitting next to saw beyond the facade and had the courage to ask the question that needed to be asked. I started crying then and didn't stop until halfway through the service. DH who came and sat down a few minutes later was understandably concerned. What had happened between leaving me at the front door and coming to sit beside me?

I didn't have time to share that God had just touched me in an incredible way and once again shown His love to me. It was the answer to both our prayers as DH is going away this week and he knows how much I've been dreading it.

Thank You Lord that you care for one such as me and that you hear my cries and give me second chances.

You are my hiding place;
You shall preserve me from trouble;
You shall surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah

(Psalm 32:7, NKJV)

Comments