You Do What???


Actually my family haven't said this to me yet probably because they long ago consigned me to that section of the human race that is spoken about in whispers and veiled terms.

Yep, they think I'm crazy.

But my latest obsession isn't crazy. And it's not that unusual. So what is it?

I've given up shampoo.

For good.

In fact I've given it up for soap. Well, shampoo bars to be exact.

Some people give up shampoo and use nothing but plain water (some even less) but I wasn't brave enough to try that. Besides, I like the scent and lather of shampoo bars and you just can't get that with plain ol' water. Others use baking soda in place of shampoo but for me baking soda is too drying. And again it doesn't have the lather or scent of shampoo bars.

If you've not heard of them before (and believe it or not, there are those that haven't heard of shampoo bars - affectionately known as 'poo bars - I used to be one such person) you could be wondering what exactly are shampoo bars. Basically they are super fatted soap made especially to cleanse hair. Most contain ingredients that are perfectly pronounceable even by non-scientists and because of the way they are made, they do not require preservatives or fancy packaging.

So why did I switch to shampoo bars?

Simple. For quite a while now I've not been able to find a conditioner that I like. So I ditched conditioner. But then shampoo - even supposedly natural and/or organic brands - was too drying - so I looked for an alternative.

Enter shampoo bars. There was however a transition period with the shampoo bars - for me a very loooooooooooong transition period - but now that I've survived that, I'm really enjoying not having to use commercial shampoo or conditioner.

For some, there are a few cons to using shampoo bars but apart from the fact that the soap can sting if it gets in your eyes (I mean really sting) I can't think of another con. However I can think of a long list of pros. For starters:

1. No nasty chemicals, no preservatives, and lots of beneficial oils and herbs;

2. Minimal packaging and therefore less rubbish to fill up my wheelie bin which only gets emptied once a fortnight and which I'm probably going to have to wheel out to the street once Son#5 leaves home (see, I'm thinking ahead here);

3. Being able to choose a shampoo bar based on its ingredients and their benefits. If I want something moisturising then I might reach for a shampoo bar with added oils or honey. If it's something that will stimulate growth that I want then I might choose a shampoo bar with nettle or rosemary or even coffee. This is so much more fun than choosing a shampoo based on whether my hair is dry, normal or oily;

4. Online shopping. In the convenience of my own home I can contemplate bar after bar until I'm satisfied with my selection. No standing in front of a supermarket shelf, mind completely blank, and trying to remember which ingredients I was wanting to avoid. No worrying about whether I'm in my pyjamas and not fit to be seen. I can do it all from my computer desk while DH and Son#5 are watching "Top Gear" (or some other show on TV);

5. The opportunity to experiment with a new technique (and using a shampoo bar is different to using liquid shampoo) and with different shampoo bars. Some might work better than others but that's okay. They can always be used as body bars if your hair turns out to be less than enthusiastic about a particular bar;

6. Simpler routines and less products. I lather up twice with a shampoo bar and finish with an apple cider vinegar rinse. Sometimes I wash my length, sometimes I don't. But I don't have to bother with conditioner any more which certainly solves my dilemma of finding the perfect conditioner for my hair;

7. They are supposedly economical. I can't really comment on this because I haven't been using them long enough to know how long one bar lasts and therefore be able to compare it to the cost of liquid shampoo. I do know however that I've had the equivalent of one bar sitting on the side of my bath for just over a month and have been using 'poo bars every second day since I began and that DH and Son#5 are also using the same 'poo bars, and I still have a ways to go before I have room to try another 'poo bar;

8. Variety. It's the spice of life, don't they say? I love being able to use a different 'poo bar every time I wash my hair and know that there are plenty more to choose from when I get bored with a particular bar. I also love that I can keep coming back to my favourites and they work every time;

9. Scent. I am offended by a lot of commercially produced scents. A lot of perfumes bother me. The bathroom smelling like an engineered apple orchard bothers me. These 'poo bars while at times having a strong scent are not overpowering. The scent they leave on the hair is subtle. If my bathroom smells like an herb garden it's a natural herb garden kind of smell - and not something that has been dreamed up in a laboratory;

10. Results. I'm happy with the results and the more time that passes, the happier I am.

I will be honest and admit that it hasn't been all plain sailing. As I mentioned earlier, I had a long transition period. Longer than normal. It seemed that for a time I just couldn't get my hair and scalp to stay clean for longer than a day - and sometimes not even that long. This apparently is normal as the hair slowly adjusts from being stripped of all its natural oils to a more gentle way of cleansing. I had naively assumed that because I was already using a natural organic shampoo that I wouldn't have a problem with this. Wrong. I seemed to struggle more than others. But I'd bought the bars and I was going to make them work - whatever it took.

And eventually success.

Some users report a temporary increase in shedding (hair fall). Since I started using the bars at a time when I had increased shedding anyway I can't say if they made this worse or not. Certainly the shedding has decreased significantly which I'm attributing to the medication I'm now on, but it shows (to my mind at least) that if there is increased shedding with this method then it's not long lasting.

Others report that hair feels funny after washing. Well it does but a weak acid rinse (apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, lemon or lime juice diluted in water) solves this problem. This acid rinse also restores the acid mantle of the scalp, removes any soap that was not fully rinsed out, removes hard water deposits, conditions hair, and adds shine (what more could you ask for from such a humble rinse). I've noticed that this funny feeling also disappears after a time and if I didn't have hard water I might not bother with an acid rinse every time.

Something else that many report is the increased need for washing combs and brushes due to the collection of dust and lint. At first this seemed like a con until I realised that it was probably the result of not all of my scalp's natural oil being stripped from my hair during washing causing it to collect in my combs and brushes instead. Sounds a bit yuck but that oil is actually beneficial for our hair and if we're removing it completely every time we wash, what are we actually doing to our hair? Now I just wash my combs etc more often and feel smug that they're so much more hygienic than they used to be in days of ordinary shampoo use. By the way, this lint/dust/whatever-you-want-to-call-it doesn't seem to transfer from brushes and combs back to your hair so it's not really a problem - to my mind anyway.

Perhaps one of the greatest difficulties I've had with the transition to 'poo bars is being able to maintain scalp washes. I began these about five years ago as a means of protecting my length from frequent washing. My routine was that I'd do a full wash once a week where I washed my scalp and length, and then every second day would just wash my scalp and keep the length dry. When I tried doing scalp washing only using my regular technique and shampoo bars I'd end up with a greasy mess. I had to get creative.

I've discovered that the best way to do these scalp washes it not to put my hair up in a bun as I was wont to do but to braid it and cover the braid with a plastic bag or something else to keep the water out. Then I simply wash my scalp, holding the braid out of the way as much as possible to keep it dry. If it does get wet, I don't mind, but I don't need to use soap on the length every time I wash.

I've also found that some 'poo bars are better than others at cleansing the scalp. These ones tend to do a better job when I do a scalp wash. Another trick, is to rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse again.


So how do I use these unfortunately named 'poo bars?

Here's a step-by-step guide (even DH thinks nothing could be easier and he's not always the easiest to convince):

1. Wet hair down and wet 'poo bar. Either lather up 'poo bar in hand or rub it over the hair several times (about 10-12). I only apply to my scalp and down to my shoulders at this stage.

2. Massage scalp to get a deep rich satisfying lather. A little water might need to be added to help this process especially the first time. Pay particular attention to your own problem areas - such as above the ears or the nape of the neck - areas that tend to get oilier quicker.

3. Rinse.

4. Repeat Steps 1-3, allowing the suds to sit on the hair for about half a minute after Step 2.

5. If I'm washing the length, I will use a 'poo bar (usually one that I've found too moisturising for my scalp) from the shoulders down on my length for the repeat Step 2. I only lather up my length once.

6. After rinsing well, apply an acid rinse. I add a few squirts of apple cider vinegar to about 4 cups of water. Some recommend 1-2 tablespoons but I find that this makes my hair too greasy. However, it's all a matter of experimentation and some people might prefer to use more while others find less is best.

7. I let the rinse sit on my hair for anything from a few seconds to several minutes.

8. Rinse lightly with cool water (if you're brave!) and that's it. Easy.

My favourite 'poo bars are from Chagrin Valley. I especially love the Lavender Spice Bar and the Herb Garden Bar. I still have others to try yet so I'm sure this list will grow. I love being able to rotate these bars (hence the fact that four are sitting in my soap dish with their 'flags' identifying each one) depending on my mood and the needs of my hair. Since Chagrin Valley shampoo bars are quite big I've found the easiest way to do this is to cut each bar into thirds and use them that way.

But Chagrin Valley aren't the only makers of all-natural shampoo bars. Notice I said "all-natural". This is because some shampoo bars do contain SLS and other chemicals that I try to avoid (read the label first). Other suppliers of 'poo bars (and I haven't tried all these) are: Prairie Land Herbs; Henna Sooq; Jeymar Soap and Body; Millstream Garden; Global Soap; Beauty and the Bee; and Sea9Soap. I reserve the right to add to this list as the need arises!

Comments