A Christmas Prayer

As the first of my chicks prepares to hit the road today (it's the 'outlaws' turn to enjoy them at Christmas this year) my heart feels a little anxious and downcast. The latter, I think, because in previous years we've all gotten together after Christmas for The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1's birthday so it's never really felt as if we've 'missed out' on a family Christmas, but this year that won't be the case.

Even being super organised and wrapping presents pre-Christmas-Eve hasn't won me any merit points as Son#2 decided not to take the [large] box in the car with them. This means that we'll get to enjoy The Most Adorable Granddaughters#4-#7 opening their presents with us when they return home. I just hope they don't think Nana and Grandpa have forgotten them! (As if we could.)

This talk of presents has made me think of what I'd most love to give my children and their spouses and children ... and the idea of a Christmas prayer was born.

This is my prayer for them (for all of us) ...

I pray that this Christmas season they will take time to see not just a babe in a manger but all that God has done. That their hearts will be filled with awe and wonder, just like the shepherds, as they gaze at the Son of God, in humble circumstances, and marvel at His birth.

I pray that their hearts will be filled with joy as they consider His plan of salvation for all mankind. That they see not just the baby but also the Man on the cross, dying for their sins, reconciling them to God. That their whole being will be flooded with joy at the knowledge of God's salvation, and they will experience forgiveness of their sins.

I pray that the Light of the World will shine in their hearts, illuminating the areas that need to be handed over to Him, lighting the dark corners where they may be holding onto unconfessed sin, and bringing them into a deeper knowledge and experience of Him.

I pray they will know true peace. Not peace as the world knows it, but the peace that only God can give, that brings freedom from sin, and is unfathomable.

I pray they will experience God's overwhelming love. Love as they have never know before. Love beyond a parent's love. That the love of Christ will flood their souls, deepening their relationship with Him, filling them with love for others, filling their hearts with praise for their Christ and King.

I pray they will truly know Christ as their Saviour. That He who came as a babe, who came to save His people from their sins, will be their Saviour and they will acknowledge Jesus as Christ the Lord.

I pray that the Bread of Life will satisfy all longings in their heart. He will bring healing and fullness to those who are hurting. He will open their eyes to their hunger for Him. That nothing else will take His rightful place in their lives.

I pray that He who began a good work in them will see it through to completion. That He who has written their names on His Hand will keep them and use them for His glory.

I pray this Christmas may they know Him and love Him as never before. That as they celebrate, open presents, share food and family times, that they will remember the One who came and the true reason for the season.

Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.




Comments