A Mighty Fortress


Until recently, the Black Death, Bubonic Plague, Spanish Influenza and other epidemics lived only in the pages of history books.

Not any more.

The twenty-first century may be enlightened with incredible advances in medicine and technology, but the COVID-19 pandemic that is sweeping around the world leaving a trail of dead in its wake, is real.

For many, fear has become a constant companion that we try to ignore with social memes and trust in quackery (the latest I've seen is that we should drink tea to combat the effects of the disease).

During the bubonic plague in Germany, Martin Luther wrote: "I shall ask God mercifully to protect us. Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine and take it. I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and this perchance inflict and pollute others and so cause their death as a result of my negligence. If God should wish to take me, he will surely find me and I have done what he has expected of me and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others. If my neighbour needs me however I shall not avoid place or person but will go freely as stated above. See this is such a God-fearing faith because it is neither brash nor foolhardy and does not tempt God."

Martin Luther also wrote the words to a song that I have listened to several times over the past week. It is one of his best known hymns and still sung around the world today.

The words have particular meaning at this time in world events:


The song is purported to have been based on Psalm 46 but there is another Psalm that fits the theme really well and which continues to speak to us today ...

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust."

Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler
And from the perilous pestilence.
He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
Nor of the arrow that flies by day,
Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.

A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.

Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
No evil shall befall you,
Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;
For He shall give His angels charge over you,
To keep you in all your ways.
In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.
You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra,
The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.

"Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him on high, because he has known My name.
He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will deliver him and honour him.
will long life I will satisfy him,
And show him My salvation."

Psalm 91, NKJV.

Comments