It Makes Me Happy

Even after a long day, and trying to take a selfie, this cardigan makes me happy!

Over a week ago I finally finished Take Three of my rose pink sweater. My first two attempts to use this yarn were documented here. After following two patterns (one purchased, one free) I decided to take things into my own hands and use my own measurements and my own knitting gauge and "plug" a chart onto the yoke. It was a gamble since I had never knit a yoke sweater without a pattern and really only had a smattering of knowledge of how one went together, but assumed it couldn't be that different from a top down raglan sweater (except I was knitting bottom up).

I read lots of tutorials, polished up my rusty mathematical skills, and then, after deciding I could always rip back to the armholes if the yoke didn't work and make a raglan sweater, I plunged in. And I'm glad I did because the outcome is that I'm happy. And why am I happy?

One: It fits! Like Amy Herzog, I feel that a seamed sweater sits better and keeps it shape and this one seems to do just that. I knit it in pieces up to the armholes and then in one piece from there. I had decided that I wanted a cardigan (more versatile since I can wear it buttoned like a sweater or open) and I had really had enough of knitting in the round. After my first two attempts I was struggling with strain from all that plain knitting. Being able to knit flat, and alternate every plain row with a purl row was bliss. Plus, I'm one of those (apparently) strange knitters who loves to purl. And I have a neater gauge when I knit flat. So even though I wanted a traditional yoke cardigan, I didn't want to do it the traditional way (ie. seamless and steeking).

This cardigan was a prototype for future patterns and I expected that there would be some things I would do differently next time, but apart from maybe making the sleeves a little longer (although I love the slightly above wrist length for work), and maybe going down another needle size for the buttonbands, I would say it's close to perfect.


Two: It is super comfortable. In fact it is the most comfortable cardigan I have ever worn. Even more comfortable than the baggy drop sleeve sweaters from the 1980s. This cardigan has some waist and bust shaping, the sleeves are roomy without being baggy, and the yoke makes for easy movement. I also added short rows to make the back neck higher and this has alleviated some of the problems with yoke sweaters, mainly a rather chilly back because so much is exposed.

Three: The colour makes me happy. Today someone told me, "That colour really suits you and you love wearing it too." I'm not sure how they knew I loved wearing it - maybe the fact that the colour makes me happy is evident. Strangely enough, I was not in love with the yarn when it first arrived and considered sending it back. I just didn't think it did anything for me. But it was going to cost to send it back and I decided to see if I could "tone it down" by adding white. I'm not sure if it toned down any, but it makes me happy now and I wonder why I ever stuck to boring and safe colours in the past. 


Three reasons why I'm happy and I could probably think of more, but that's sufficient. Besides, I'm so happy with the way this turned out, that I've cast on for a similar pattern with a gorgeous aqua. Oh, and I'm going to add some white to that one too.

Some helpful links:

Tin Can Knits

Talvi Knits (Some really helpful information on adding short rows to sweaters.)

Free Idun Jacket Pattern (I used only the chart.)

Shaping Circular Yoke Sweaters

Comments