Hope

I've had a partly written post sitting on my computer for several weeks now. I've decided not to finish it (no reflection on its merit) and yet I can't delete it. Perhaps in a few years when this world has returned to normal or we have learnt to live the new normal, I'll go back and read it and reflect.

But right now we all need a little hope. And what better hope is there than that that comes wrapped in Christmas?

Now if you know me well, Christmas decorations, Christmas carols, in fact anything Christmas related has to wait until December. My teachers know better than to dare to play a Christmas carol at work before December 1!

It's not that I have anything against Christmas, I just never used to like seeing it spill into months other than December. I suspect this had more to do with the huge expectations I placed on myself at this particular time of year and my lack of forward planning (and, okay, a memory or two of which I can now view with more understanding and compassion than I could when younger). Consequently I always felt extremely stressed at Christmas time and this coloured my view of this joyful season. 

But with a beautiful granddaughter due before Christmas, and with shipping the way it is, I wanted to get a stocking for her in the mail soon in the hope it would arrive before Christmas this year. Not that she'll know or even care - but I do. This is one of the few ways I can love on her from such a vast distance (and especially given these uncertain times - but I wasn't going to go there).

Somehow I was organised and ordered a whole lot of Christmas fabric a month or so ago, and so this past fortnight, with work commitments less than usual, I was able to pull out my sewing machine and sew a Christmas stocking.

Only one stocking turned into six full size stockings, and nine smaller ones!

I'm not sure what madness struck me to churn out so many, but there you have it. Fifteen in total. I just have the hand sewing of the binding to do, but they are pretty close to finished.

I also started a few Christmas decorations and it seems silly to pack them away only to bring them out in a month or two, so they are now lying and hanging around the place. (I cannot believe I just admitted that!)

The stockings and tree decorations are not the only Christmas-related items around here. Years and years ago I did a Block of the Month Quilt. I had fallen in love with a quilt that I'd seen online and was thrilled when I discovered it was available in my country.

There were some hiccups along the way. One month there wasn't enough of a particular fabric (but several months later I had left over of the same fabric and was able to use it in the earlier block) and the binding fabric never arrived, but overall I enjoyed working on the project.

And then the quilt top got packed away ... because I had to make a wedding quilt for Son#4 and DIL#4 ... and then one for Son#5 and DIL#5 ... and then a baby quilt for Son#5 and DIL#5 ... and then another quilt for Son#4 and DIL#4 ... but really because I thought it was too Christmassy.

But a few days ago I pulled it out and basted it in the hope that it would look good in our front entrance all year round and not just at Christmas. Now that it's basted and I've started quilting, it looks less like Christmas than it did originally, and I can even see it gracing a bed in our home when it's eventually finished.



(The quilt is Vintage Rouge designed by Vicki Bellino using Marcus Fabrics by Feye Burgos. When I searched for quilting ideas online I discovered that the corner applique isn't part of the original design. I have a vague idea that I decided to include this to add interest to the corners. All the applique vines are in a fabric from my stash so I'm not sure if there was insufficient included in the kit one month or I decided to change it for another reason.)

So with all these reminders of Christmas around, I find myself looking forward to the season, even though it will be so, so very different to previous years. Yet, despite this, I can still look to the reason for Christmas and have hope. Hope that does not depend on what is happening in the world today, but hope in the One who came at Christmas time and brought us hope. Hope and joy and light in the darkness.

Now, that's reason to celebrate all year round.

Nevertheless, there will be no more gloom for those who were in distress. ...

The people walking in darkness

    have seen a great light;

on those living in the land of deep darkness

    a light has dawned.

You have enlarged the nation

    and increased their joy;

they rejoice before you

    as people rejoice at the harvest,

as warriors rejoice

    when dividing the plunder. ...

For to us a child is born,

    to us a Son is given,

    and the government will be on His shoulders.

And He will be called

    Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God,

    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Of the greatness of His government and peace

    there will be no end.

He will reign on David's throne

    and over his kingdom,

establishing and upholding it

    with justice and righteousness 

    from that time on and forever.

Isaiah 9, NIV

Comments