Just Answer the Question, Please

Why does DH do this? When I ask him if I'm fat he replies "You're beautiful. I love you."

Ditto for "Does my hair look silly?" or "Do you think I'm weird looking?"or “Does this dress make me look like the back of a bus?”

Why can't he just answer truthfully?

I'll tell you why.

If he said, "Yes, you're fat" he'd have to deal with one upset wife and life wouldn't be too comfortable for him for a few days.

If he said, "No, you're not fat" I'd accuse him of not telling the truth and life wouldn't be too comfortable for me for a few days.

So he resorts to his stock answer:

"You're beautiful. I love you."

I love you too, honey!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I usually only read and rarely comment, but I have to write this:
I loved reading this post. Not only is it beautifully written, but it is so wise. Since I haven't been married that long, I'm always eager to learn. I'll definitely keep this in mind and not get mad next time DH gives me a "way out" answer like that. Why do we women have to ask these things, anyway? I constantly do this, even though I know in advance that a) I won't get a real answer and b) what the answer should be. I have a mirror, don't I? ;o)
Jules said…
Hi Kati, I guess as women we are looking for reassurance. We know we're not perfect. We don't have a contingent of makeup artists and stylists at our beck and call or someone to airbrush our photos and make us look like models.

We do have mirrors but we tend to be our own worst critics and we focus on one 'fault' and blow it out of proportion. When we look in the mirror all we can see is that one 'fault' overpowering everything else.

What we need to remember is our husbands love us for who we are. To them we're the most beautiful women on earth.
SchnauzerMom said…
Your husband is very wise. Mine has learned to answer that way too. I'm learning to not put him on the spot with those kind of questions.
Daisy said…
My dh has no choice but to be honest, so he pretty much always gets in trouble.;O) He's afraid to answer at times ... LOL!
Unknown said…
Your hubby sounds both sweet and wise :). Plus he IS probably being honest because I'm sure he does really think you are beautiful, your hair is beautiful and your figure is beautiful. He knows you, and knows your heart, and sees that you are beautiful inside which makes you even more beautiful to him on the outside.