The Quilt Room

I started quilting over 16 years ago and haven't stopped since. Other crafts that I used to enjoy - knitting, cross-stitch, long-stitch - have virtually fallen by the way. Patchwork-and-quilting has become my craft passion.

It's actually a rather strange passion for a girl who grew up not wanting to sew and who didn't do that well at sewing at school. But one day in early 1991 I walked past a quilt shop and fell in love with a sampler quilt on display. I signed up for the class and immediately discovered a new love.

Since then I've made many quilts (I've now lost count of just how many). Recently I wrote some instructions on many aspects of quilting. Just leave me a comment if you would like a copy.

Here are a few of my favourite quilts:

Sampler Quilt. My first quilt. There are mistakes but I'm still rather fond of it. Hand pieced and hand quilted:



Scrappy Basket Quilt. This started out as a Block-of-the-Month quilt when we moved to NZ to give me something to do while we waited for our belongings to arrive. I ended up changing some of the patterns and including some extra fabrics. Hand pieced and quilted:



Miniature Baltimore Quilt. I admire Baltimore Quilts but have never had the courage or patience to attempt one apart from this small quilt. It's hand appliqued using blanket stitch and hand quilted:



Stained-Glass Iris Quilt. One that I completed recently and which I based on a window in our home. The window is very fragile and I wanted to 'preserve' it in fabric. One day I hope to make a series of these quilts. Hand appliqued and hand quilted:



Mount Ruapehu Erupting. This quilt was an experiment and I'm surprised at how well it turned out considering the lack of planning that went into it! Mainly machine pieced and hand quilted:



Geese in the Cabin
. This quilt was started in Australia and completed several years later in New Zealand. I began with reproduction heritage fabrics but had to substitute other fabrics when I ran out. Still, I love the way it turned out. Machine pieced and extensively hand quilted:



Time for a Country Block.
This quilt began as just one square and just kept on growing. Mainly hand pieced and hand quilted:



Finally, Jules' Folly. One day I'll give this quilt a more appropriate name but at present (while I'm still working on it) the name fits. I can't help but wonder whether I was temporarily insane to undertake such a project. Mainly hand pieced and with trapunto in the centre blocks, this quilt will also (one day) be extensively hand quilted:

Comments

April said…
Beautiful quilts, Jules. I like them all, but LOVE the the "folly" one. It's going to be drop dead gorgeous when you're finished (it already is). I made a very small quilt in a quilting class years ago and loved the process. But my problem - at least these days - is that to quilt one has to sit down - and I don't have much sit down time at home (I sit all day at work). Maybe when I retire I can get back to it.

Your quilts are beautiful and you are very talented!
Unknown said…
Jules, those are all SO BEAUTIFUL! Wow, those are just amazing! They look like something I would see in an Amish store selling for a whole lot of money. I am so impressed! You have such talent for quilting.
SchnauzerMom said…
WOW! Gorgeous quilts. Both my grandmothers and my mother made quilts but I didn't start until about 20 years ago. I love doing it too. A great way to express yourself. Like painting in fabric.
Jules said…
I agree SM that it is a great way to express yourself. I don't consider myself 'creative' but I love coming up with quilting designs. Even better when I like the finished result.