Weighty Matters

I jumped on the bathroom scales this morning and, horror of horrors, the weight is creeping back on again. This has been an ongoing problem for me since I left my teens behind. Producing five babies hasn't helped either.

No matter how desperately I wish to be like my sister who managed to inherit the genes for skinniness from my dad's side and the genes for thin thighs from my mother's whilst I somehow ended up with the defective genes from both sides (and I'm older than she is: I should have got first choice of the good genes!), I'm still Jules and I struggle with my weight.

Daily.

I only have to look at chocolate cake and I pile the weight on! Those kilos so desperately want to stay close, but they are not my friends!

It’s been said that beauty begins on the inside but I don't feel beautiful when the weight keeps going up and up. I've been slim, and I know what I prefer, and it ain't where I am right now.

Several years ago I was doing a research paper and decided to use my own eating goals as a behaviour that I wanted to change. It worked and I lost over 15kg but slowly and surely I let the old eating habits creep back in and I forgot to exercise as regularly as I once did.

All that's going to change. Starting today. It's raining but I'm going to put on a jacket and go for a walk anyway. I'm going to be strong and not eat the Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies that Son#2 and his girlfriend made last night. And I'm going to start eating sensibly again.

This diet is similar to the one that I followed several years ago and which was so effective. Losing weight is hard work - it's a lifestyle change - but the results make it all worthwhile. Believe me.

Comments

Daisy said…
Oh boy ... do I ever hear ya Jules. The weight just creeps up doesn't it? I eat a little of this and a little of that, thinking it would do me no harm and then voila, big thighs, big hips etc. Those are my problem areas anyway. :o(
SchnauzerMom said…
Looks like a good, healthy diet. I hope you accomplish your purpose.
Jules said…
I've started off with good intentions - let's see how far I get. I'll keep you posted. :)
Unknown said…
It sounds like you have a great plan! I hope you are able to stick with it. You can do it! I am trying to do the same right now. I want so much to be in shape and eat right. It just have to learn to say no when that junk food calls my name :).