Chalk and Cheese

My little sis turns 41 today. How old that makes me feel! As her birthday has approached, I've spent some time over the past few days reflecting on our relationship. Growing up we were alternately best friends and worst enemies. We used to fight over everything (whose turn it was to do the dishes/peel the potatoes/feed the dog/get the washing off the line, who was the more attractive, who was our parent's favourite etc) but underneath it all we really loved each other.

We’re as different as ‘chalk and cheese’. Sis is out-going, the life-of-the-party; whereas I’m quiet and introverted and would rather stay at home with a good book. Yet despite our differences – or perhaps because of them - we were really good friends, particularly as we left our teens and entered our twenties. It was then that we had more in common: we had husbands and children (nine children between us) and were busy with our families.

But then things changed. I moved to New Zealand with my family and she left her husband and eventually divorced him. A rift grew up between us that has caused pain and heartache on both sides. We've tried to heal that rift, but the scar is still there. There are some things we have to agree to disagree on - things we both consider important but on which we have vastly differing views.

She's my sister. The only one I have. I love her. I miss her and our conversations. I pray for her. Often. And today I hope she has a wonderful, wonderful day.

Happy Birthday, Sis!

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm so sorry that there is a rift between you and your sister (or scars from that rift). My sister and I experienced that for several years too after her divorce. In the last few years we were able to mend things, and now we are close again. I am so thankful for that. I pray that you are able to do the same with your sister.