An Open Book (A Meme)

This was on my friend Amy's blog and I thought it would be fun to do. Perhaps others might want to carry it on too.

1. Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?
My mother used to read to me when I was a child. I have a picture in my mind of the two of us in bed - I can't be any more than 2 years old - and mum's reading to me. I don't know if the picture is based on memory or on a photo or slide that I've seen, but it's clear to me. I know from family lore that mum did read to me and that I used to love it so I suspect that is when my love of reading started.

2. What are some books you read as a child?
I had a whole stack of those Little Golden Books as a child. Then I progressed to mystery stories (Nancy Drew, Three Investigators, etc, etc) and series such as Little House on the Prairie. In fact I read just about anything I could get my hands on including the back of cereal boxes. I also spent my holidays writing my own stories and wrote my first novel-length book some time between 10-12 years of age (long gone now which is probably a good thing).

3. What is your favorite genre?
I must admit I love romance but it has to have a good storyline. I also love historical fiction and biographies.

4. Do you have a favorite novel?
If I had to choose just one it would be To Kill a Mockingbird.

5. Where do you usually read?
There's nothing like curling up in bed with a good book - morning or night (or the small wee hours).

6. When do you usually read?
Sadly I don't get to read as often as I'd like to these days. I tend to wait for holidays (like now) to read.

7. Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?
Not usually. See next question.

8. Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?
Yes. Often non-fiction that I choose is either work-related or some theological tome so I tend to read in small spurts: during my lunch break, half an hour before bed. If I'm reading a heavy-going book then I often will have another lighter one on the side to read at the same time.

9. Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?
Books are friends and I love to have copies of them in my own home. I often borrow from the library and if I find a book that I absolutely 'must have' then I'll buy it. I badly need more bookcases.

10. Do you keep most of the books you buy? If not, what do you do with them?
See answer above. Yes I keep them. I can't imagine getting rid of them. I hate it when people borrow them and never return them.

11. If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them? Were they some of the same ones you read as a child?
All the great ones I missed out on as a child: Dr Seuss and Beatrix Potter. I was very fussy about what books I read to my kids when they were growing up - they had to be good books and not rubbishy ones. When they were older I introduced them to a lot of my favourites as well as some new ones. And I've introduced them all to the classics.

12. What are you reading now?
Reading some old favourites because I haven't had a chance to get to the library yet. At the moment reading books by MaryAnn Minatra.

13. Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list?
Not really. I do keep a list of authors to keep an eye out for.

14. What’s next?
No idea. Perhaps a visit to the library.

15. What books would you like to reread?
I reread most of my books - much to the disbelief of my husband. A good book will entice you to come back again and again and again.

16. Who are your favourite authors?
Jane Austen, Bronte sisters, Francine Rivers (although some of her endings are rather disappointing), MaryAnn Minatra, Harper Lee, Frank Peretti, L. M. Montgomery, Lynn Austen, Janette Oke, just to name a few.

Comments

Sparrow said…
Glad you did the meme, too! It's fun reading everyone's.

One of the authors I mentioned on my blog, Robert Elmer, actually found it and posted a comment! How cool is that?
Jules said…
Oh Amy, that is super-cool! Sadly, most of my favourite authors are dead so I'm not expecting any comments from them! :)
Daisy said…
I just pulled an almost all nighter reading "Emerald Windows" by Terri Blackstock. I REALLY love to read, but I can't seem to put the book down.