Serving Others

We were late to church this morning. The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World had stayed the night because her parents had a work 'do' on but they'd forgotten to leave her car seat so they had to pick her up from our home this morning rather than meeting us at church. They were late which made us late.

Being late we had to choose a pew where we had to slip past several people. We sat down, our knees touching the pew in front, and opened our newsletter. Oh no! DH and I were on morning tea which meant we should have been there early to set up.

When everyone stood for the next song, we again slipped past all the people in our row and went downstairs to set up. If people had failed to realise we were late coming in they couldn't help but notice that we were leaving just as the service was getting started. We felt so conspicuous!

I don't know why it is but I hate being on morning tea. I have a roster but never look at it - probably in denial! It's not that I don't want to serve others but I'm scared of doing it wrong. What if I put out too many drinks for the children or not enough? What if the tea is too strong or too weak? What if people think I've been stingy with the amount of biscuits I put out or, worse still, wasteful?

But as I was setting up I realised that it's not about me. It's about serving others. My attitude changed. If I did it to bless others then I couldn't do it 'wrong'.

We finished setting up downstairs then stole quietly upstairs and slipped into a vacant pew (not the same one as before because we didn't want to cause a commotion as we pushed past a whole row of people again). We were hoping to be as unobtrusive as possible but no sooner had we sat down and The Most Adorable Granddaughter sung out "Nana! Nana!" as if it had been a week since she'd last seen us and not just an hour. So much for going unnoticed!

Downstairs after the service I was forced to talk to people, even if it was just as simple as "Do you take milk? Is the tea too strong? How are you?" I'd been thinking of asking to be taken off the morning tea roster but now I'm reconsidering. I'm shy. I can't make small talk. I don't join in conversations. I never know what to say. But today I had to talk to people and I'm glad I did. And if this is the only time I talk to people - well, it's a start.

Comments

Daisy said…
Hehehe! I know those moments all too, too well, when the very last thing you want is to make a commotion during service! Jules I found in my experience, serving others is the bestest way to talk. I feel good doing things like that, I can speak, speak about the food, ask questions to make sure peoples needs are met. I can really show people I care about them, by my actions, despite my introvertness, because my words are few. I would rather serve then being the one served, and standing around not making much conversation or just conversing with a select few. It's an open door to talk to everyone ... does that make sense? We just had a church barbeque, and I served, and I had more fun doing that, then I would have standing around with my plate of food. It's good for me as an introvert to keep busy.
SchnauzerMom said…
I know how you feel, I'm not good at small talk either but I'm learning. Participating in discussion boards online has helped me.
Unknown said…
We just had a church party at someone's house. It was a garden party, and we are new to the church. I am finding that I am getting very tongue tied when trying to make small talk. I think it is because I am not used to it. I am hoping that I will get better at it as we do it more. I think that serving helps open doors to conversation. I wasn't serving at all when we were there, so instead we sat at tables. Then you are FORCED to talk :)!