A Little Bit Shouldn't Make Much Difference

Last weekend DH pulled out my linen cupboard to make way for a new sub-board that we need to install if we are to upgrade our electrical wiring. We have lived without lights in our bathroom for a few years and our sons have been without lights in their bedrooms for far too many years (the boys have still had power to their rooms and have been able to use lamps so it's not as if they've been living in total darkness). Because of the age of our house we haven't been able to connect any new wiring into the old board but that's about to all change.

DH 'shaved' only a small amount from my linen cupboard for the board, before putting my linen cupboard back together. This morning I started stacking sheets and towels and linen back into my cupboard and was surprised at how much difference just a small amount made and how I had to re-arrange stuff to get it all to fit back in.

It reminded me of a story I read a while ago. I keep a copy of it above our breakfast table and regularly read it. I hope my sons sometimes sit and read it too while they're munching away!

The story can be found here. I really encourage you to read it if you've not read it before. I think it's a valuable lesson for all of us when we're tempted to compromise or ignore the "little" sins in our lives (there's really no such thing as a little sin - sin is sin in God's eyes and whether we've told a few fibs or murdered our brother, we're all sinners).

Galatians 5:9 says that a "little leaven leaveneth the whole lump". And in 1 Corinthians 5:7 we're told to "purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us".

It's time to get rid of our sin: our compromises; our white lies; all manner of gossip, maliciousness, and resentment; the critical spirit, and the hateful attitudes; anything that separates us from God and to become a "new lump" that we might shine forth the glory of Christ living in us.

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
Wow, that was powerful. Thanks for sharing that story. It's so true, we tolerate stuff that God certainly hates.
April said…
I really liked that story - and I love the last paragraph of your post. So true...
Linda said…
I liked that story.