Most Embarrassing Moment

Recently at a weekend conference we were asked to tell about our most embarrassing moment. My mind went blank and I couldn't think of anything. I know I've had embarrassing moments and that I've managed to humiliate myself on far too many occasions but at that particular point in time I couldn't think of a single thing.

Well I've remembered one now and by writing about it I hope that I'll be able to remember it for future such questions.

A few years ago I was in a crowded car park, trying to reverse our van out of a tight parking spot when suddenly over a loud speaker I heard this voice say, "You've got plenty of room. Keep coming back."

I looked around and spotted a red truck, resembling a fire engine, waiting for me to reverse. The driver was a man I knew through work (though I don't think he recognised me thankfully) and in his hand he had a loud speaker.

He boomed out instructions and I followed:

"Keep coming. You've got miles of room. You're not going to hit anything. Back ... back ... back. Just a little further. Now start turning. ... Straighten up. You're doing well. Just a little more."

By this time I was as red as a beetroot and Son#4 who was about 14 at the time had slide down so far in his seat that he couldn't be seen.

I completed the manoeuvre to the cheers and applause of my 'instructor'. I didn't look around to see how many people had stopped to watch the 'performance' but got out of there as quick as I could. I laughed all the way home, but Son#4 was less than impressed.

Son#3 tells me that women's distance-discerning abilities are different to men's which explains why I always think I haven't got enough room and DH (and my sons) always says there's plenty!

Don't tell Son#4 but there are times I wouldn't mind having the man in the red fire-engine behind me giving me instructions again as I try to get out of tight parking spots!

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
That's a cute story, I probably would have been embarrassed too!
Unknown said…
LOL! That is so funny! I would have been really red faced too :). Great story though! It seems like women have really bad depth perception. I always think I am about ready to ram into something, and my hubby tells me I have tons of room. It is weird how our brain is wired!