The End of the Line

It's measure-in time again. Before I publish this post I'll get DH to measure my hair so that I can record my measurement but I've already decided that where I'm at right now is the end of the line for me as far as growing my hair. At least for now.

Looking at my hair in the mirror I would estimate that I'm about an inch from tailbone. But I'm tired of the slow growth. I'm tired of waiting for tailbone before starting my 'maintenance programme'. Tailbone could be anything from 2 months to 12 months away with my growth history and I'm getting impatient for super healthy hair.

I've decided to start my maintenance programme now even though I've not reached my goal. I want to feel that I'm starting to do some good for my hair. I want to see some progress as I work toward a thicker, straighter hemline. The plan is to trim approximately 1/2" every second month. If I get some good growth and manage to gain 1/2" the months I don't trim, well and good, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen!

I will continue to measure each month to ensure I'm not cutting too much off. If my measurement is less than 33" then I'll go easy on the trimming until it's closer to 34" but I'm not going to get too upset over the actual number.

I admire classic length hair but it's not for me. I'm struggling with catching and pulling my hair whenever I wear it down. I'm fed up with tangles. It seems I'm combing every few minutes to eliminate tangles when it's down. I've got some split ends that I want to get rid of. I'm also finding that washing hair this length in the bath is difficult. It can be done, but it's not easy. I usually end up with my hair floating in the bath water just when I've put conditioner in it and am not ready to rinse it out, or when there's soap and shampoo in the water and I don't want my ends exposed to it.

My hair has recently started feeling long to me. That's a great feeling. It would be even better if my hair were longer but that's not happening and I've decided that I can live with this length. I can accept it without too many regrets. I don't feel that I've failed to reach my goal. No, I've reevaluated my goal taking into consideration my lifestyle, my hair growth, and the importance I place on hair health. And I've decided that this is it.

It's time to concentrate on other things. Like losing weight and exercising more. I don't seem to be able to do all at the same time. Weird I know, but I seem to have put some goals aside while concentrating on my hair goal.

Well not any more.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, my hair measured-in at 34" so I've gained 1/2" since last month's measure-in. I can live with that too.

Comments

BellaMama said…
When I first saw my hair (at it's longest) I was so embarrassed at how thin it looked at the ends-it was really bad. I'd always wanted short hair, but my parents said if I didn't like it I wouldn't be able to glue it back. The shortest my mom cut it was approx. 24". (bra strap length) I grew it out over the years and it was mid-thigh 42" by the time I married. I was so nervous/scared to have it cut & just relied on my dh to cut it where he liked it & I knew I wouldn't even cry! That was back to 24". I loved it & it grew out again to 34" & I was sick of sitting on it, having children pull it when it was down, so then I wore it up. Again, I asked my dh what the shortest I could have it & it was shoulder length. It's 20" now & I'm ready for another trim. I agree, the tangles take too much time & I like that my husband notices it at the length he likes it!! So I'll probably cut it back to 18", but no shorter (unless I mess up!). I truly admire the long lengths of other women, but I remember my irksomeness at my own & so I probably won't be growning it long again.
I have found that using conditioner and less and less shampoo have made my hair smoother & less tangled. I also use lanolin to get the dryness out. It's sticky, but in a day or two absorbs and is so silky soft & no more frizz!! (I get the Now brand here that is natural, not the pharmeceutical expensive kind-mine even smells wooly or sheepy)

Thanks for letting me share. I really wanted to say that whatever you and your husband are comfortable with is where you should have it. It took me YEARS to realize this! I've also read of women who trimmed their hair and it would grow back thicker and more quickly. (kinda like a tree branch).

Have a blessing of a day,
Mrs. C.
SchnauzerMom said…
I think your hair is gorgeous and super long to me. I'll be happy if mine gets anywhere near that length.
Anonymous said…
Your hair is lovely. The color, the texture, the length, everything. My hair is 2" shorter than yours in length, yet it only appears to be a few inches beyond BSL - yours is at the top of your pants! And mine is much wispier at the ends too. Be glad! We both seemed to reach terminal around the same time - and I completely understand where you are coming from. I don't want to fret over lost potential inches. I only wanted mine about the lengths yours is now anyway! A few inches shorter doens't matter that much. Just realizing that this is the end of the road can enable us both to go into beautification mode - instead of concentrating on getting MORE hair we can make the most of the hair we have, right? That's where I am at anyway. And now I can have regular trims knowing it'll grow right back to where it is (and no more) but that my hair will be healthier for it.

It's nice not being alone in this though :-)
Jules said…
Thanks for the comments.

Bellamama, DH loves long hair and has always prefered me with long hair. He would like to see it longer - just to see what it's like - he realises that it might not be that easy to live with. He's also said he'd like to see me with really short hair because he's never seen me like that but he certainly doesn't want me to cut. He's okay with me keeping it this length. I've never tried lanolin on my hair but I do regularly use oils such as olive, almond and coconut.

Schauzermom, I've long admired your hair colour and would seriously love to see it at BSL or longer. Hang in there, and one day we'll all be oohing and aahing over your fabulous long hair!

Mermayd, it is nice to not be alone and I knew you'd understand. I love your term 'beautification mode'. It sounds as if I'm doing something positive for my hair rather than getting frustrated/depressed every month because it's not growing.
Daisy said…
Your hair is very beautiful Jules.
When I realized I was at terminal length and did all I could for my hair, I decided to concentrate on other things.
I'm going to concentrate on loosing weight and exercising too. I started yesterday with fruit in the morning, oatmeal at lunch and then ate a normal dinner. This morning I had my fruit again, I'm getting back to eating healthy. It's time to start taking more care of my body.
Unknown said…
I think it is great what you have decided to do. You have such beautiful hair, and I'm sure that when you start your maintenance program, it will just get better and better. I know what you mean about tangles. My biggest debate about growing longer has been the tangles. Once I get past tailbone, they get pretty awful. I'm hoping I can figure out some magic formula to get rid of them :).