Humble Pie

No one wants to be considered opinionated or pig-headed but sometimes I'm scared that I am. After my recent post (and a similar one on a hair board) several people commented that they didn't think I was at terminal. At first I didn't listen because I was sure that I was. But after enough people had said the same thing, I decided to start listening.

To prove them wrong, I decided to graph my hair growth over the past two years. I was certain that the graph would show once and for all that my hair has stopped growing.

I was astounded at the results. For the last 18 months I've been convinced that my hair's growth has slowed down dramatically. Now I'm not so sure. From the graph it appears that apart from a period of 3 or so months when it did in fact stall, my hair has still been averaging 1/2" between trims. I say "between trims" because I've been trimming more often this past year or so and each time that I have, I seem to lose what I've trimmed off and at the same time not gained anything. Now I'm wondering if there's any way possible I've been trimming more off than what I thought (even though DH insists it really is only the minutest amount I guess it could still be more than what I've accounted for).

So, I've decided to put the beautification programme on hold until Christmas and see what happens between then and now. I've also decided to extend my trimming schedule to every 12 weeks rather than every 8 weeks. If I still find that my hair's not grown, then I'll go back to my original plan, but if it has grown, well as DH said the other day, wouldn't it be fun to see how long it could go?

The hardest part will be not trimming. I love the feel of fresh cut ends. And I really hate it when they start to feel dry. No amount of oiling or pampering will restore that non-dry feeling. However, when I considered some changes that I've made in recent months, I realised that in the beginning I used to wear my hair up more often. A cinnamon bun or a Dutch braid rolled up (see photos) was my usual stand-by. Often I would oil my ends before hiding them in either of these updos. Both practices I've slipped up on a little. I'm going to change that immediately.

So until Christmas the new plan is:
1. Trim every 12 weeks or less;
2. Wear hair up more often;
3. Oil ends more.

And I'll wait and see what happens.

And to all those who tried to get it through my thick skull that I wasn't yet at terminal, I apologise for not listening.

Comments

April said…
Lol, Jules! :) I'm glad you're going to give you hair more time to prove itself. I really love your Dutch braid 'dos. I don't even know how to do a French braid.
SchnauzerMom said…
Your hair is so pretty! I bet you do have more growing to do.
Unknown said…
What beautiful updos! That is great that you have had more growth than you thought! It's funny how our hair can trick us :).
Anonymous said…
I'm intersted to see if you DO get more growth! I was where you were a year ago. I thought my hairdresser was cutting more than I thought, so I went a full year with no haircuts, and only gained back the small amount (about an inch) that he had trimmed. So much for that theory. I think you may be in for a surprise though because your ends are not NEARLY as wispy as mine are.
Jules said…
April, I struggled for years to make a decent French braid, but the Dutch braid I was able to do as soon as I was introduced to it. This is a really comfy style and I used to often oil my ends before rolling it up and when I took it down at the end of the day they would be so soft. I'm gonna do more of that.

Schnauzermom, thanks. I hope I get some more growing.

Jen, yes I was really surprised when I graphed it. I was so sure I wasn't getting any growth. I'm still only 1" longer than what I was at the start of the year but I did have a period of absolutely no growth at all and then I've had frequent trims. Will see what happens.

Mermayd, it's because my ends are still thick and even (apparently) that several people told me I *couldn't* be at terminal. I've decided to give it a little more time to see who is right. I'm not going to let it drag on and on though. If I don't see some progress in a reasonable amount of time I'll start that beautification programme.
Mary said…
Take kelp tablets. They are a natural remedy for thyroid support. I take one a day, and my hair grows like crazy. Fingernails, too. Kelp (seaweed) tablets are cheap at the pharmacist or health food store. Ask doctor if any harmful side-effects for you.