Please Don't Ring

It's happened again: the second time in a week that I've hung up on a caller. I don't know who she was but she was trying to sell me something I didn't want. I tried politely to say I wasn't interested but when she kept going on with her spiel I waited for her to take a breath and quickly interjected, "Thank you, but I'm not interested. Bye," and hung up.

I feel rude hanging up but I'm sick and tired of strangers ringing me up and trying to sell me stuff that I'm not interested in. They must be getting desperate because this is the third time that I've turned down this 'incredible offer' (their words, not mine).

When I was a full-time stay-at-home mum I used to hate the door-to-door sale people that would come around and waste my time trying to sell me whatever it was they were promoting. At least it's easier to say 'no' to someone over the phone that I can't see but I still don't like it.

So if you're reading this and your job is to try and sell me something over the phone let me give you some advice: don't bother. Don't ring because chances are, I'm gonna hang up.

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
I know how you feel. I don't like calls like that either.
Unknown said…
We now have caller id, which has helped tremendously with calls like that. I don't answer the phone if I see it is a company name and number on the id. Those people don't give up! I have had to hang up before because they would keep going on and on.
Anonymous said…
In the U.S. we now have a national "do not call" list. If you sign up, it is illegal for solicitors to call you. Every now and then a few slide through but for the most part, they are rare now. By the way, I got to the point where I would just hang up, not even being polite about it or saying anything to them - just CLICK.