When the Cat's Away

they say that the mice will play. Well ... DH is away (left early this morning) and I don't feel a lot like playing. In fact, I miss him and can't wait until he gets home tomorrow evening.

Before going away, DH learnt that the skin lesions he had removed last week were cancerous. I haven't spoken with the doctor but I assume they're the same as he's had in the past - the slow growing basal cell carcinoma. He has to have more removed next week. I wish there was something we could do to stop them. DH isn't concerned but when he gave me the diagnosis I realised again just how precious he is to me.

DH is not diligent about his annual check-up's. He doesn't go to the doctor unless he absolutely has to (and in his book that's never). I don't understand why he chooses not to go, particularly given his history and his family history, but after this, I'll be forcing him to have those yearly check-ups. After all, I want us to grow old together.

I've used the photo of daffodils growing in our backyard because last Friday was Daffodil Day - the day when daffodils are sold to raise money for cancer research and awareness. The daffodil was chosen as the Cancer Society's symbol because as one of the first flowers of spring, its bright yellow blooms are a reminder of the joys the new season will bring and represent the hope there is for all those affected by cancer. I also like to think that out of darkness and difficult times can come something beautiful and new and worthwhile.

Comments

April said…
I hope your dear hubby is okay. At least with skin cancer there are some "not so bad" kinds that aren't really life-threatening. I've had both and now have to have be very careful. You make sure he gets annual checkups! I know you will. You and I both know how men are about going to the doctor. I sometimes want to take a frying pan to my hubby's head.

The daffodils are beautiful. And I agree with your last sentence so much.
Unknown said…
I will be praying that the doctors will be able to remove everything, and that there will be no more cancer. Please keep us updated on how things go!
SchnauzerMom said…
I hope that they get it all and that you can persuade him to go to the doctor when he needs too. The flowers are gorgeous.