Happy Birthday DH!

Today DH turns fifty! Sshh, it's not something that he wants many people to know. I don't think he's concerned in the least about getting older - he just doesn't want a fuss made. And definitely no party!

So today we'll just have family together and we'll have a simple meal and finish it off with Chinese Ginger Syrup Cake for his birthday cake. And then we'll probably watch "Bathurst" (the Bathurst 1000 at Mount Panorama near Bathurst, Australia). Yes it's a car race - the only car race that I watch. Not because I'm particularly interested in the cars or who wins, but for several hours I get to see familiar countryside as they race round the track. It's a taste of 'home' for me and something I can do with DH.

I had offered to buy DH a new rifle or binoculars for his birthday but he hasn't found any yet that he likes and which are in our price range (who would have ever guessed that binoculars could be $1000 or more - definitely not me). I did however manage to buy DH a study Bible for his birthday. He was getting tired of his NIV one and the commentary that suggested the earth was created over millions of years or that a leviathan was a crocodile (Job 40). It says leviathan, so why can't it mean leviathan? When it says that David fought off a lion, we don't think, "Oh that's impossible. No boy could do that. It must've just been a wild cat." No, we accept what's written there. So when the Bible mentions what reasonably sounds like a dinosaur (and remember dinosaur is a modern word so it wouldn't have been around when the Bible was first translated into English) why do people automatically decide that it can't mean what it says? It's because man - and sadly even Christians - have assumed that man knows more than God and have tried to fit evolution into the Bible, rather than taking the Bible as the absolute truth of God and discarding any belief that doesn't fit with what's written there (and evolution is just another belief system - another way of interpreting the evidence).

Of course, I know that only the Scripture itself is inspired and not the footnotes, but DH was finding his footnotes rather discouraging. It makes me wonder how many people those footnotes have led astray. Anyway, I was able to find him a NKJV and I think he's going to appreciate these footnotes and commentary far more (I checked out the notes on Genesis One and it said that a day means a 24 hour day and not millions of years - yay!).

Later today Son#3 will return to University. It's been lovely having him home and for DH it's having family around that makes his birthday meaningful. The only family member missing today was Son#2 who finishes his course later this week and flies home next weekend. It just didn't make sense for him to go to the expense of flying home this weekend as well. Perhaps we'll just have to have another family dinner next weekend? Both boys are going to be busy now with final exams coming up (in fact all my boys - even Son#1 - have got exams coming up so it's going to be rather busy and stressful for the next month or two).

Anyway, Happy Birthday DH, I hope your day is special and I hope you get to celebrate many more birthdays with the people you love most (and those that love you most)!

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
Happy birthday to your DH! I'm glad he got to spend some time with family. I agree with you evolution is a belief system. We need to make sure that what we believe coincides with the Word of God not the other way around.
Daisy said…
Happy 50th birthday Jule's dh! :o) Have a great day!
bunches of yarn said…
Happy Birthday Mr. Jules!
At this age he could have Birthday week, or month...have many dinners in his honour, it's all good.

About your DH's Bible, glad he saw through their deception. We are not supposed to correct the Word of God, the Word of God is supposed to correct us!
^__^
Anonymous said…
I hope your DH's birthday was blessed! I just wanted to say that I enjoyed your comments on the Bible. It was insightful and very well said. I agree! God Bless!