The 'Why' Question

Two weeks ago a friend's half-sister died in childbirth, leaving behind the newborn son she didn't even get to see and three older children for her husband to care for.

Less than three hours ago I learnt that a friend and colleague has breast cancer.

We can ask 'Why?' but we know why. This is a fallen world. Disease, decay, death are the consequences of man's sin long ago in the Garden of Eden.

It doesn't make it any easier to bear. But it does answer the why.

I'm hurting for my friends today. One is struggling to come to terms with her family's grief. The other is confidently resting in her Heavenly Father's arms knowing that He has promised to never leave her or forsake her.

We know that God is Sovereign. Nothing takes Him by surprise. We may not understand why He allows these things to happen to people we love, but we know - we know - that He is in control. And because of that we can have peace and strength and hope.

Comments

Unknown said…
That is so sad. I will pray for healing for your friend who has cancer, and will pray for comfort for your friend who lost her half sister. God is such a hope through times of trials. I can't imagine having to go through the trials of life without Him. They are hard enough, but can you imagine how much harder it would be without Him??!!
SchnauzerMom said…
I agree with you! This is why we have the 23rd Psalm to comfort us.
Jules said…
Thank you Jen and Schnauzermom. I agree - I really don't know how those that don't know the Lord cope when such circumstances come their way. My friend with cancer said that she feels God holding her in His arms. She appears to have no fear and is so calm even though I learnt today that the tests were done in February and she's had to wait all this time for the results. Time that could prove crucial to the outcome. BTW, her husband is currently waiting for a kidney transplant. They have five children. I appreciate your prayers and think it's so neat that people half-way across the world can care and pray simply because we are all part of the Body of Christ.