Spills and Thrills

I've just returned from the local hospital where we spent over an hour and a half in the new medical and accident ward. Just as I was about to serve up tea (what we call our evening meal), Son#4 ran into the corner of a wall (how many times do we have to tell them not to run in the house), splitting his eyebrow open and requiring a couple of stitches.

Six or seven months ago he managed to split the other eyebrow and also required stitches (I don't know if he's trying to match the scars or make some kind of personal statement). At least that didn't happen as we were about to sit down to a meal but the time he broke his collarbone was at tea time - and we had guests.

This appears to be a trend in our family. Why have an accident that requires a trip to hospital at a convenient time? No, far better to make it as inconvenient as possible.

Like the time Son#1 cut his finger with a knife and had to have stitches. I was 8 months pregnant with Son#5, my husband was away, and I was about to serve up tea. And then there was the time he broke his wrist in two places and had to have surgery. That time I was in the middle of organising Son#4's birthday party. I missed the party.

Son#5 has broken his arm twice. Once when he fell off a box and the other time when he fell out of a tree. The second time that Son#5 fractured his arm he ended up in hospital overnight after having had surgery and I got to spend that day and the next, which just happened to be Mothers Day, in hospital with him. Not exactly 'breakfast-in-bed-and-all-the-chocolate-you-can-eat' kind of day that I'd been dreaming of.

Still, that's part of the joys of raising boys (and girls too I imagine). Tonight, much to my husband's amusement, I felt faint. The last time I felt faint was when Son#3 split his forehead open. Is this another trend: injuries to the face?

There's one son I haven't mentioned. That's because Son#2 has managed to get this far in life relatively unscathed. As far as we know, no broken bones or stitches. No operations. Is it ironic then that he's decided to make his career in blood?

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
That's quite a lively bunch you have there! I'd be a nervous wreck.
Daisy said…
Oh noooo! Was there a lot of blood? Usually when you hit your head it really gushes out! Poor son#4! My ds always would hit his head in the same spot as a toddler. He has a scar because of that!
You must do a lot of praying Jules! I can imagine with a house full of boys ... just what it would be like. I only have one little boy and he can be a rough, toughie little guy at times. So far no major incidences and I'd like to keep it that way!
Unknown said…
Ouch! I hope he heals quick! Evie did that exact same thing a few years ago. Head wounds always bleed so bad too. You sure have had your share of emergency room visits! Wow!