Home Beautiful

Yesterday I was disappointed.

So disappointed.

But I'll get over it.

After Christmas DH and I went looking at sofas. Ours are fifteen years old, saggy, and getting very grubby on those areas that can't be laundered. DH has been saying for a while that we need new ones. So we went shopping. For four days we visited every shop that sold sofas - and then went back again and again and again.

I got my hopes up.

Then when I thought we were at the stage where we were ready to make a decision DH said, "It's up to you."

What? I thought it was what we wanted. I thought it was a joint decision. I thought he had suggested it. But he thought I was the one who had suggested it and he was just 'supporting' me. What a communication mix-up!

DH still would've 'supported' me if I'd wanted to go ahead and buy the sofas of my choice but half the fun had gone out of it.

Plus, he raised another point. Why this hadn't been raised before I got my hopes up I don't know. I guess I should've thought of it myself.

Ever since we moved into our house almost 13 years ago we've been talking about 'doing' our kitchen. Currently our kitchen (which incidentally is probably the nicest looking room in our rather old and tired-looking house) is situated in what was once a rather large north-facing (we're in the Southern Hemisphere so think sun-facing) veranda. There's a step down between the dining room and kitchen, the floor still slopes away from the house (so spills tend to go down and end up behind the refrigerator), there is no wall lining behind the kitchen cabinets (we can see daylight in places!), and there is definitely no batting in the walls or ceiling to prevent heat loss or help with climate control. Consequently it is absolutely freezing in winter time.

The dream has always been to bring the kitchen back inside and restore the veranda to its former glory. For a long time it was just that - a dream. But recently it has begun to look as if it could become reality.

Which brings me to the point that DH raised. Part of my dream is for an electric stove that has two ovens (to meet the needs of my growing family when we all get together). Something like this but probably in cream or black:



DH wanted to know if I spent the money on new sofas if it would mean that later down the track (and he's talking this year but I'm not that optimistic) I would have to forego something I really want in my kitchen - such as this new stove.

So we've decided no new sofas at this point (even though I'd fallen in love with a particular style and colour). I'm disappointed but I'll get over it. What will perhaps take a little longer to come to terms with is the shame and embarrassment I often feel when others come into my home. I know it's wrong. I know I should be more concerned about offering hospitality and caring for the needs of my guests but sometimes I wish I could take them into a room that is lovely to look at and to be in rather than what we have.

Not that new sofas would have made that much difference. But it would have been a start.

And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head” (Matthew 8:20, NJKV).

Comments

BellaMama said…
I'm glad you were able to dispose of your old couch!! I do so love that stove!! NOW, I want one!! Don't worry...come over to my house & you'll feel like your house is a beautiful palace!! If you're wanting to redo your kitchen you'll soon understand living in a construction zone. I like to consider it organized chaos!! hehe...I dream of the day when our house is "normal" looking!! I think everyone truly takes this for granted!

Look on the bright side of things,
"And having food and raiment let us be therewith content."
I Timothy 6:8
God has provided far and above what we need or want!!

~Blessings of Contentment!! :)
Jules said…
BellaMama, I understand living in a construction zone! We've been renovating our bathrooms for years! We have one finished that contains all the necessary plumbing and a bath (tub). The other one will eventually have a shower (that's the one we're currently working on). At the moment trying to get 6 people out of the house in time for church on Sunday morning is nearly impossible. I try to get some sons to wash their hair Saturday night to free up the bathroom for the next day, but it's still chaos Sunday mornings. I'm just glad I don't have daughters because I believe they take even more time in the bathroom than do boys!

Thanks for the verses. It's good to remember that God provides all our needs. It's our 'wants' that can lead us astray!
Daisy said…
Oh my word ... you're SO much like me in ways Jules! Sometimes I could cry because my basement leaks in heavy rains and guess what, my bedroom is down there! Oh the house needs more than just that, but I won't get into it and yes I get down about it all, especially when people come over. I don't want them going down those stairs ... but guess what, most end up down there one way or another as my dh likes to show his electronic things he's got down there to the whosoever will. Oh the embarrassment. Sigh!! Sometimes (like today) I get all frustrated and then I'm hard on my husband because of it!
When I get to feeling this way, I pray because there are attitudes I battle with. Attitudes that will cause strife in my home and really it's not worth it.

That's an awesome oven!
Jules said…
Daisy, we had heavy rain just before Christmas and as I was vacuuming I discovered a huge wet spot. Yes, our roof also leaks but usually in a different place each time. If I started thinking about all the money we need to pour into this house to get it looking good, I'd get depressed. I try not to think about the fact that the whole roof needs replacing, the drive needs doing, the carpet is stained and threadbare in places, the ... well, I could go on and on and it's not worth it. Usually I can tell myself that family is what's important and be satisfied - just now and then, I have to re-learn the lesson about 'giving thanks in all things'!

It also helps to remember that this is but a temporary home - I'm just passing through and I have a mansion awaiting me in heaven and it's going to be far better than anything here on earth!
SchnauzerMom said…
Houses can be expensive things to care for. I agree with you, we are just passing through, we have a mansion in heaven where the roof never leaks!