Roll the 'r'

Today I got drenched. Say that and roll the 'r' as in drrrrrrrrenched. Because that's what happened!

It was only spitting when I left home to go for a walk. It had been doing that on and off all day and nothing had come of it, so I didn't expect this time to be any different. Still I grabbed my wonderful jacket that keeps out the wind and the rain and the cold - just in case. The only problem is that the rain tends to collect on the bottom hem and then whoosh! it pours down my legs like two thunderous waterfalls.

My legs were wet. Very wet. Saturated. Drrrrrrrrrrrrenched.

As was my hair (at least the rain brings out my waves - there's always something to be thankful for). My upper body though was lovely and dry. But hair and legs: drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrenched.

Today has been one of those days at work that makes me ask myself: WHAT AM I DOING HERE? Why would I turn down a job where I could work in the peace and comfort of my own home? Where I wouldn't have to listen to screaming children or be kicked by a tantrum-throwing almost two-year-old? Where I could hear myself think? AM I CRAZY?

I must be.

And yet, it was almost like a test. Because I still feel a peace about staying where I am. I've sent off my letter declining the job offer and while I feel a little sad, I'm convinced that it was the right decision.

Earlier today a little part of me was wanting my manager to know how close I came to resigning and then, faint but still discernible came the thought: I'm not serving my manager, I'm serving the Lord.

Ouch!

It's only been just over a week since we studied this verse in our Bible Study group: Not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; with good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men (Ephesians 6:6-7, KJV).

Now comes the hard part: living it.

Definitely double ouch!

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
Sounds like you are definitely in the Lord's will, the fact that you have a peace about it is important.
Jules said…
Hi SM, briefly yesterday when things were not going well work-wise I considered throwing in my job but the thought passed. I knew that if I did that I'd also be throwing away the peace I felt when I made my decision to stay - peace that is not dependent on circumstances. No matter how great this other job is, I know it's not right for me.

BTW, I just received an email from the people that interviewed me and in it they said, "We really appreciate that you have taken the time to pray and consider the job, and that you have heard where you need to be." I know they would've made great employers - but for reasons I don't understand that's not where the Lord wants me - at least at the moment. And I'm positive about that.