The Value of Experience

Last night Son#3 informed me that he would be cooking our evening meal. Without any assistance from me.

He decided to bake the potatoes and carrots. Knowing that it would take at least an hour for them to cook, I settled down on the computer to do some writing.

Forty-five minutes later there was a commotion in the kitchen. Apparently when Son#3 had checked the vegetables earlier he'd realised that Son#2, whom he'd asked to turn the oven on, had not turned it on at the wall. Result: cold veges and cold oven. However Son#2 informed him that using the fan bake function would cause the vegetables to cook quicker, so they went with that option.

What neither of them knew was that the only function that still works on my oven is bake (they were both away at University when my oven started playing up and Son#1 did some fiddling around with it to get it working). So at 7.00pm when they checked the vegetables, they were still uncooked and the oven was stone cold.

We ate late last night. Later than usual that is.

I could say it was worth the wait - and it was certainly a delicious meal - but I can't help but feel a little alarmed. Son#3 is going flatting next year and will have to come home and cook his own meals at night. I'm afraid he's going to go hungry!

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
He'll do alright once he gets the hang of using the oven. I think it's cool that he wanted to cook dinner.
Daisy said…
I agree with SchnauzerMom, how nice that he wanted to cook dinner ... boy you brought your sons up right ..heheh!