Back to Work We Go

Summer is almost over. As always, the holidays have flown by so quickly. Next week we return to school and work. None of us are particularly thrilled about the idea.

For me it means being more organised – ensuring I don’t neglect my responsibilities as a wife and mother. It will most likely mean less time on the computer (unless I’m writing). I’m hoping this blog won’t be neglected but frankly at the moment I don’t know how I will fit everything in.

For a while I’ve felt like an anomaly around the blogs I usually frequent. I don’t home school nor am I a full-time stay-at-home-mum. My children attend the local secondary school and I work part-time during school terms. I would love to be at home full-time - caring for my family, doing household chores (yes even cleaning the soap scum off the taps with a toothbrush!), writing, baking, making a home - and yet I believe that God has placed me in my job for a reason.

There have been times when I’ve questioned why I’m where I am especially when visiting the blogs of the full-time-stay-at-home-home-schooling-mum. Some times I just want to do what they’re doing and yet despite prayerfully considering home schooling on a number of occasions, I’ve never felt that God has been calling me in that direction. I don’t know why.

For me, returning to work will be doubly hard because some changes that have occurred over the six-week break have left my spirit heavy. As I was thinking on these changes and feeling frustrated DH reminded me that at the end of last year I was offered another job but turned it down because I felt that God was telling me to stay where I am. DH then asked, “Don’t you think that God knew then about the changes that were going to occur?” He then went on to say that if God didn’t release me then why did I think He was releasing me now?

Some times DH can hit the nail squarely on the head!

So as we return to work and school, my prayer is that God will give me the grace to cope with the changes; that He will use me to witness to those around me; to be an example of His love to those I come into contact with; that He will protect my children not just physically but also emotionally, spiritually and intellectually, because I am so aware of the worldly influences they must face each day; that they will be able to discern the truth and not be taken in by the world’s lies no matter how ‘right’ they sound; that He will guide our steps, our decisions, our choices; and that our lives will worship Him.

Comments

Unknown said…
I feel like an anomaly as well when I read many blogs. I only have one child, so I am a very non-typical homeschool mom. But God has a perfect plan for each of our lives. It sounds like you have a wonderful hubby that is a great encourager. I hope that everything goes very smoothly for you as you go back to work, and as your kids go back to school!
SchnauzerMom said…
Your DH sounds very wise. I not only don't stay home, I'm not even a mom. I hope things work out OK at work.
busymomof10 said…
May you rest peacefully in God's plan for your life! I'm sure if you are seeking Him, He will guide you in the way you should go! I pray He gives you strength for the days ahead as you return to your work/school routine.