Call it What You Want

Rock melon. Cantaloupe. It doesn't matter what you call it, it still tastes the same.

I walked into the supermarket this morning and suddenly I could smell the delicious aroma of ripe rock melon. Quickly rounding an aisle, I found the display and immediately picked one up to sniff. H-e-a-v-e-n-l-y.

My kids used to get embarrassed when I sniffed the produce but for rock melons and pineapples there is no better way to tell if they're ripe and ready to eat. Now they sniff the produce and have to explain to their bemused friends what they're doing!

Son#5 has just made up the mix for ice cream and it's chilling before it goes in the ice cream maker. Just before Christmas I had acquired some 'points' by using my credit card and I decided to use them on something I would not normally buy - and so the ice cream maker. It's a fun thing to do with the kids - or for them to do themselves.

If all goes according to plan we will have chocolate hazelnut ice cream for dessert. I'm not usually a fan of ice cream, but this one is irresistible. I'm just not sure how it will go with rock melon!

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
I love cantaloupe when it's good and sweet. I haven't used my ice cream maker in years. I think I'd like to get it out this year. You've inspired me.
April said…
I looooove canteloupe - and you are right about them, and pineapples; you have to smell them. :) I wish I had some canteloupe right now!

And the ice cream? Oh my goodness, chocolate hazelnut?! That is one of my most favorite flavor combos! And homemade ta-boot. I'm jealous!
Unknown said…
I could almost smell cantaloupe just reading your post! I love the smell and taste of cantaloupe.

Your ice cream sounds YUMMY!