Ramblings

The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World slept-over again last night. This morning I found her Daddy's first Bible and gave it to her to take to Church. She was so proud to have a Bible to carry and I heard her say several times before we had to leave, "Taking Bible to Church."

DH and Son#4 were responsible for The Most Adorable Granddaughter in Church as the rest of us were involved with music this morning. Despite being tired, The Most Adorable Granddaughter did really well: sitting up, singing, looking at the pictures in her Bible, and not making much noise at all.

This afternoon we visited my MIL. DH's youngest brother, his beautiful Japanese wife and their darling daughter, are visiting from China. Their daughter is exactly three months older than The Most Adorable Granddaughter. The two little girls had a lovely time together, despite not having seen each other for eight months! I'm worn out though from taking them for walks ("Run," they told me!) in today's heat.

I've set myself a personal challenge: to complete my new novel by Christmas. Since my first novel was approximately 58000 words, I need to be writing 5-6000 words a month. I've written half that so far, so I'm on target. It's not that I've been slow to start - I've done lots of research - it's just finding the time. But this is important and somehow I need to squeeze it in (around family and housework and ironing and cleaning the ring out of the bath - yet again).

This month I'm memorising 1 Corinthians 13. The whole chapter. I made a good start - I'm half way already, but I've slackened off a bit. I need to get motivated and make a time to do it otherwise I'll get to the end of the month and will be trying to learn it all in one night.

I also want to get the younger boys memorising Scripture this year. They had to do it when they attended a Christian school, but now that they've 'graduated' to the state school it's not been happening. I have a few passages in mind and should start them on them soon. It's so valuable to be able to memorise God's Word and call on it when we need it. I realised this in January when I was trying to find comfort in Psalm 23 and couldn't remember all the words. I realised then that I needed to make time to hide God's Word in my heart. I know some people have a hard time memorising - DH is one - but for those that are willing I think this skill can be learnt. My Father who was never academic set himself a goal one year to memorise Psalm 119. And he did it (and will recite it to you if you ask! LOL).

I also want to learn the flute this year. For the past year I've not been involved in the music ministry at church (mainly because our second keyboard was broken) and I've really missed it. I decided then that I'd pick up another instrument to play so that I could still be involved. I couldn't make up my mind between the flute or the clarinet. I love the sound of both - especially the clarinet - but the clarinet is not a C instrument which means I would have to transpose all our music. But we already have someone that plays the flute in church on occasion and I didn't want her to feel that I was trying to usurp her position. Plus, the beautiful girl Son#2 is courting plays the flute incredibly well and I'm afraid of sounding very very amateurish next to her (although she only visits our church on occasion). But in the end the fact that it's a C instrument and I did learn the flute - something like 30 years ago - but not for long - won out. I still suspect it's going to feel like starting over.

It certainly looks as if I'm going to be busy, doesn't it?

Comments