A Modest Week



After having participated in the Titus 2 Blog Party I was ready to return to my little corner of the world and go on as before, except for the addition of some new neighbours from the recent party whose blogs I now visit.

But then I saw Modest Fashion Week over at SAHMissionary and it seemed so timely so I'm including it here for any of my readers who might be interested. There are already some inspiring posts and links to resources.

If asked, I would have said that I have always dressed modestly. But the above mentioned article has really challenged me. Do I dress the way I do because it reflects a heart focused on Christ, or is it because I'm trying to attract attention, or to look like some model on the front of a magazine cover, or to flaunt my body, or because I just don't care?

These questions are not new for me. About two years ago after reading several articles on dress and modestly I decided to wear skirts the majority of the time. I decided that when my pants wore out I wouldn't replace them. For a long time I stuck religiously (and notice that word 'religiously' - we can get legalistic about so many things) to my plan. Then I started questioning some of the things that I had accepted with little thought.

And I'm still questioning.

I still wear skirts most of the time, but I've also started listening to what my husband likes to see me dressed in, and sometimes, if it's more practical, I'll wear pants. I wrote about my journey here but the journey is still going on.

So for those that are interested in dressing modestly, for those that have never given it much thought, for those that had no idea the Bible had anything to say about the clothes we wear, and for those that are just curious, pop on over and check out the articles. There's also some great giveaways if you live in the US.

I'll finish with this quote from a post entitled Modesty Begins with the Heart Not the Hemline:

"How does a woman discern the sometimes fine line between proper dress and dressing to be the center of attention? The answer starts in the intent of the heart. A woman should examine her motives and goals for the way she dresses. Is her intent to show the grace and beauty of womanhood?.... Is it to reveal a humble heart devoted to worshiping God? Or is it to call attention to herself, and flaunt her…beauty? Or worse, to attempt to allure men sexually? A woman who focuses on worshiping God will consider carefully how she is dressed, because her heart will dictate her wardrobe and appearance." -John MacArthur

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
Good ideas. Sometimes I think modesty is sadly lacking in our churches and in the world.
Sharon said…
Yes, we must each seek God for direction in our own lives, desiring to please God and not just others. My pastor has said that holiness is not how unlike the world we can be, but how much like God we can be.
thbslawson said…
I can totally understand the "accepting with little thought". I can be soooo guilty of this! I get excited and passionate about something, and too often remember to put a lot of thought into it after putting something into practice!
Thankfully God has been working on me in that area, and I think that I've seen progress.
I'll be back to read more of your linked post about the beginning of your journey!
CristyLynn said…
Oops! That previous comment was under my husband's name! Sorry about that. It was really me--CristyLynn. :)
Carrie said…
this is a wonderful post! I appreciate the wisdom in regards to teaching the boys.

Thanks for the sweet comment that you left on my blog. I've told my Mom she needs to go visit your quilting blog. :)

Blessings,
Carrie