Pat A Cake


Pat a cake, Pat a cake, Baker's man
Bake me a cake as fast as you can;
Pat it and prick it and mark it with a 'B',
And put it in the oven for Baby and me.


Yesterday I made muffins. Over one hundred muffins.

Here's the tally:

Ham, Celery and Cheese Muffins 18
Mexican Muffins 24
Moro Muffins 29
Double Chocolate Chip Muffins 35
Total 106

I had wanted to make Blueberry Muffins as well but by the time I'd made those 106 muffins and cleaned up the kitchen I was tired. Very tired.

I've known for a few days that this was going to be a big weekend. I warned DH by telling him that I had a lot on and I didn't know how I was going to get it all done.

I thought he understood.

Saturday arrived and he and Son#1 spent all day building walls in the bathroom. Now, as you know, I can't wait to have my bathroom finished, but I didn't want it finished this weekend!

I started to feel resentful that I was struggling along all by myself. With no offers of help. Even Son#4 and Son#5 deserted me to play with The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World who'd come around with her Mummy and Daddy. And Son#2 had to work.

So I did it all.

By myself.

At the end of the day when I asked DH why he hadn't helped me he told me it was because I hadn't asked! Huh? What had he thought I'd been trying to tell him for the past few days? If a friend had said to me, "I've got this and this on and I don't know how I'm going to manage" I'd immediately ask, "Is there anything I can do to help?" I would've recognised it as a cry for help.

But men and women communicate differently - as I'm still learning.

I thought I had asked for help. DH thought I was just moaning about everything that I had on. I thought that he was doing the bathroom because he didn't want to help me. He thought I'd ask him to do something specific such as vacuum the floors if I needed help.

You would think that after living in a household of males for as long as I have that I'd be able to communicate with the male species. But I've got news: I still don't understand how they think and I certainly don't understand why they have to communicate differently. I'm sure it would be a whole lot easier if they could just think the way I do!

Comments

java girl said…
Well I know you were one very busy lady!! Those muffins look amazing!!!

I think communication with men is a hard thing. However I still think I can communicate with my brothers better than anyone else... they don't think so though ;O)
Bonnie said…
Thank-you for your comment,It was very kind. It is lovely to 'meet' someone in blogland who is also in New-Zealand,your blog is just beautiful.
Sharon said…
I had to smile while reading your post. It felt like I was listening to myself. Maybe someday they'll get it (we've only been married almost 25 yrs.).