I Don't Know If I'm Ready

As parents there are times in our babies' lives when we're not sure if we're ready for the next step.

The first time we go out and leave them with someone else.

Their first day at school.

Getting their driver's license.

Driving for the first time without an adult in the car.

Going off to University.

Leaving home.

Getting married.

It doesn't seem to matter how many kids you have, each time you have to go through one of these milestones, it's as if it's the first time all over again.

There's another milestone I have to face with regards one of my "babies". Not a flesh and blood baby, although this baby was born of sweat and tears and much hard labour.

I'm referring to my novel.

I learnt today that it's to be published in September. While I'm excited at the news, I've suddenly realised that I'm so not ready. I feel as if I'm throwing it out there into an uncaring world that will not appreciate all that's gone into producing this "baby" which is so much a part of me. Anyone will be able to pick it up - to discover its secrets - to critique it - to love or hate it. This is the first time I've really realised that people other than family are actually going to read it. And it's scary.

Comments

Deb said…
I find this very exciting for you!!! I love to write (part of the reason for blogging) but I've not been adventurous enough to have a go at something like a novel! Good for you!! What's the title and what's it about?? I'd love to read it!
Have a wonderfully, blessed day!
Deb
busymomof10 said…
oh, how exciting!!! congratulations! Will it be available in USA?
Debbie said…
First time to your blog and I will be back. I have a 17 and 12 year old and have felt most of these "I am not ready's" I have to give my fear to God and let Him keep me calm.

I am going to be in prayer for you to have peace about your novel. How very exciting!!!
Mary said…
Congratulations, Jules! I wish you all the best. Yes, each time I publish a mere blog, I wonder how it will be taken. How courageous of you to write and publich a whole book!
Daisy said…
Well I'm sure ready ... ready to read your book Jules! Let me know when it's out and where I can get myself a copy! WoooHooo! :)
Jules said…
I'll try and answer all questions that I'm able to. At this point I'm not sharing the title or story line since I haven't yet received the contract and am not sure how much I can divulge before it's published. But I can tell you that it's a Christian novel aimed at the 11-14 year old age group ("Young Adults" they are called in the publishing world - Hmmm) and will be published by Ark House Press in Australia (www.arkhousepress.com.au for anyone interested). They have an international website but I couldn't get it to work for me (only the Australia/New Zealand section) so it still might not be fully up and running. However it may be available through their Australian site or through other online bookstores. If not, I may be able to offer it through my blog.

Hope that answers all your questions. And welcome Debbie! BTW, I wrote an article several years ago that you can find on my sidebar entitled "Welcome to the Journey of Life" that was about some of my feelings regarding my eldest son especially the "not ready's". You might enjoy it.
WOW!!! That's so exciting!!!
SchnauzerMom said…
Congratulations, that is very exciting.
Bonnie said…
That is so very exciting and I suspect slightly overwhelming for you! It is so wonderful that you have used the gifts God has given you to further glorify his name.
Jules said…
Correction: The web address for Ark House Press is www.arkhouse.com