A Voice From the Past



This past week I’ve been surprised with a ‘voice’ – well several actually – from my past. A few months ago my sister forwarded to me an email from a former school friend who was organising a reunion of our high school class. A few days ago this friend introduced me to Facebook. I’ll be honest: I could never understand why people would want to spend their time on Facebook - but then I used to think that about blogs too.

I wasn’t that keen on joining but it seems that a number of girls I went to school with are using it as their preferred media for organising said reunion. And to my surprise, I’ve really enjoyed catching up with friends from my past. The scary thing is that so many of us now look like our mothers!

I have long had a dream of finding again the girl I was best friends with at school. This girl was beautiful, caring, compassionate, funny, and smart. We lost contact soon after my eldest son was born and although our paths crossed briefly just once during the years afterward I was too slow (or stupid) to get her contact details. It’s one of my regrets.

Who knows? With all these other voices from the past, perhaps I’ll hear this one again too?

Comments

busymomof10 said…
I hope you reconnect with your friend! I have reconnected with some friends from high school via Facebook. It is Time consuming to be sure! I don't get on often, preferring blogging! But, it does have its merits . . .
Mary said…
Yeah, I've found many awesome people that I used to know from high school. Several of the rebellious, cool kids are now saved and in ministry. What a pleasant shock!
SchnauzerMom said…
I hope you are able to find your friend.
Jules said…
SM, I hope I find my friend too. I prayed for her in High School but as far as I know, she's never committed her life to the Lord. That still weighs on my heart at times.

Civilla, I've found the opposite to be true. Those that called themselves Christians are now living according to the world's standards. It's been a shock to me. Others, are unchanged. I would love to learn of classmates that have become saved but so far haven't heard any of those testimonies.

Busymomof10, while I enjoyed being able to meet old friends on Facebook, I much prefer meeting like-minded people through blogging and Christian forums. I doubt I'll spend a lot of time on Facebook although several of my friends say they prefer to keep in touch this way. Hmmm. Whatever happened to the old-fashioned letter?